And lo! he heard the WHF?S&V reference system...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So the 'normal' reference speakers (the ATC SCM50's) .....

testRoom1.jpg

Are they the active or passive versions?

Bryston are normally associated with PMC so I assume these are the passive SCM50's.

A

Anonymous

I've listened to the WHFSAV Reference system too, and was expecting to be blown away by the sound.

It is very good, no doubt, but not 'mind blowing' good - in terms of performance per pound, that is. IMHO.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
That seating is really badly positioned in relation to the speakers. I thought you guys would know better. Was that a photo of the badly off axis listening test?

John Duncan

up the music:That seating is really badly positioned in relation to the speakers. I thought you guys would know better. Was that a photo of the badly off axis listening test?

Distorted perspective. Is totally central!

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf,

Good point. But isn't that the thing with "high end" hifi though? Very often multiples of the price of "mid-fi" for very little gain.

The pro-audio sector spends time laughing at some of what we call hi-fi. The honesty and accuracy you can achieve for little outlay is astonishing - with none of 'colouring' that some hifi speakers do to the sound.

My brother had a Naim system connected to some decent ProAcs. But - - After hearing them he now owns a pair of Mackie Monitors connected to a professional soundcard, which, we both agree, completely wipe the floor with his previous system, for less outlay.

I guess with some highend you're paying for the wow-factor of the looks and build quality etc.

Each to their own I guess.

Matt.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:up the music:That seating is
really badly positioned in relation to the speakers. I thought you guys
would know better. Was that a photo of the badly off axis listening
test?
Distorted perspective. Is totally central!

The clue seems to be in the lines on the ceiling.

'Draw' a vertical up from the nearest edge of the closest speaker to where the imaginary line meets the ceiling and then follow the ceiling panel edges towards Clare's direction.

The lines would seem to converge (albeit outside the photo) above the photographer rather than the listening position.

Also the distorted perspective makes furthest speaker appear 'toed' in but not the closest speaker. Compare the direction the nearest speaker is facing compared to the grid on the ceiling above it and you can see it really is toed-in.

I am guessing a 12mm or 15mm lens pointed exactly level towards a spot - the same height as the camera - on the far wall (otherwise the verticals on the equipment racks, speakers and walls would all be 'leaning' over and converging.)

Because the camera is pointing at a diagonal, and has a very wide angle lens, the nearest speaker appears in front of Clare whereas in fact it is not. It is to her right as the ceiling lines show. (If the floor had tiles it would be more apparent.)

The camera is probably only about a couple of feet distance from Clare and a few inches above her.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok, fair play. Well analysed Chebby.

By the way, I'm up for cleaniing too. I promise I'd deoxit every month and carefully clean around JD's desktop speakers without upsetting their perfect positioning by a single millimetre.

Incidentally, what is the lift music at What HiFi towers and is it a nice custom install muzac system or Otis standard?

John Duncan

chebby:Compare the direction the nearest speaker is facing compared to the grid on the ceiling above it and you can see it really is toed-in.

Yup, if you look at the tape on the floor where the speakers are positioned, those are both pointing inwards towards the sofa in real life...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts