Analog to digital to analog?

monster

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
I have an older Sony CDP-CX200 that I'd like to use, it holds 200 cds but it's only output are the red and white rca plugs. I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M that I'd like to insert between the cd player and the amp. I hooked up the CA dac to an older bluray player to listen to some cds and I was impressed and hope to get similar results with the jukebox. I've ordered a cheap analog to digital converter but I'm thinking it's possible that it can make things worse instead of better. Anyone want to set me straight? Should I continue to just play the cds without the dac? I've had the Sony for so long that I no longer have the manual to see if there's a built-in dac like there is in the next generation jukebox which even has an optical output. I'm guessing not. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to continue playing the jukebox with the current setup but dag it's impressive the difference it makes and would be nice.

shadders

I have an older Sony CDP-CX200 that I'd like to use, it holds 200 cds but it's only output are the red and white rca plugs. I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M that I'd like to insert between the cd player and the amp. I hooked up the CA dac to an older bluray player to listen to some cds and I was impressed and hope to get similar results with the jukebox. I've ordered a cheap analog to digital converter but I'm thinking it's possible that it can make things worse instead of better. Anyone want to set me straight? Should I continue to just play the cds without the dac? I've had the Sony for so long that I no longer have the manual to see if there's a built-in dac like there is in the next generation jukebox which even has an optical output. I'm guessing not. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to continue playing the jukebox with the current setup but dag it's impressive the difference it makes and would be nice.
Hi,
I had a quick look at the manual of the unit online, and there is only the analogue outputs on the unit. Therefore, this unit does have a DAC else there would be no analogue output.

If you are using the analogue output of the CDP-CX200 into an ADC, then into the CA DAC, the final sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain, so probably the CDP-CX200. The filters in the CA DAC will change the final sound, but you will not reap the benefits of the CA DAC IC.

Regards,
Shadders.

insider9

I agree with Shadders that the weakest link will determine sound quality here. Where I disagree is which it will be. My guess would be it will be the cheap ADC. OP, I don't know your player but wouldn't be surprised if it sounded better than the DAC you're trying to hook it up to.

monster

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
Shadders thanks for reminding me that there has to be some kind of DAC in the CDP-CX200 otherwise it would be just a transport, I got caught up in getting the signal to the DAC Magic that I overlooked that. When played alone the sound seems thin. Insider9, I agree that the ADC will be the weakest link although it took me a minute to figure out what ADC meant. :unsure: I've held on to just about every piece of AV equipment I've bought over the past 35 years and am always looking to use my old pieces when I can.

TRENDING THREADS