An odd collection...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Always fascinating reading. Your energy continues to astound and bemuse in equal measure, especially as someone whose amp in their main listening system is the same one that has resided there for over twenty years now! Keep up the good work Hoops.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
James7 said:
Always fascinating reading. Your energy continues to astound and bemuse in equal measure, especially as someone whose amp in their main listening system is the same one that has resided there for over twenty years now! Keep up the good work Hoops.

Its not the intention, hopefully will settle at some point!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Some more recent developments, I was lucky enough to borrow some Harbeth P3ES off a local friend which were really nice.

I have never had any Harbeth speakers but I was interested in the little P3ES as its a natural contender to the SCM10 and Kolts.

They are a bit more efficient than the Kolts and SCM10s (both 80dB Vs ~83dB) and certainly sit in the middle in terms of bass extension (not including the Xtender) as they have a bit more depth than the Kolts but not as much as the SCM10s.

In my room I do prefer them without the Xtender connected, the midrange seems to suffer, which is a shame as its that which really stands out with the Harbeths. The extender does not seem to go that deep either, just a little bit and the bass is not the best, maybe they are designed for larger rooms.

They have nice overall balance, although verging towards a little bright compared to the SCM10s, which is not always a bad thing as the SCM10s can (and do) sound a bit flat with less than great recordings, where as the Harbeths give a little enjoyment while not being too far from the 'truth'.

The little Harbeths do lack a little dynamics, even when compared to the SCM10, which is noticable with any kind of dance/electronic music but again, better than the Kolts.

14372451102_0cb771ecef_z.jpg

Then, this weekend, my 'Dream' speakers have arrived at Hoops Manor.

After owning the Rega R1, R3s and really missing my R7s I sold many years back, with much regret, I had been looking for another pair of R7s. To my surprise I was offered a pair of even rarer Rega R9s, I never though A. that I would ever find a pair and B. that I could afford a pair. But alas, a pair came along at a price I could not refuse, and after a cancellation of a previous engagement yesterday, I fired up the metro and drove t'up north to collect them!

I had been looking at the Harbeths + Sub idea after playing with the P3ES but I was also after the R7s so thought I would go for the R9s as they really don't come up often and thought it was too good to pass on. I assume they did not sell many, these are 00049 and 00050 serial numbers.
The Tannoys have been relegated to the spare room as part of a long term project.

Given their size I had thought that they might be a bit big for my room, and would require the built in bass-attenuation setting, but actually they work pretty well, might need some more experimentation (tried some more positions since the photo) but initial impression seems they sound a bit better in my room with the bass drivers on the inside and toed in a little.

14428218035_f29f99c20b_c.jpg

14427087824_5019755543_b.jpg

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
A bit of a change, the R9s have been excellent and had no real desire to change but some Tannoy Stirling HE's came up for a price 'to good to resist'. The R9s have gone out on loan to a friend and the Tannoys slotted in straight after the Scalford show.

16354456494_0e068bfd3c_z.jpg

16793213328_b3b855f4e4_z.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts