My main stereo system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

This is my current main stereo system. Used to have an Arcam CD73 CDP, but had to sell it because I needed money. I also have to say that I've had more systems than I can count; I like to change equipment very often, and I always have access to good deals, so I never lose money buying/selling stuff. In my country (Chile, South America) there's a HiFi forum with a lot of crazy people like me; we all buy and sell stuff to each other.

Speakers: Tannoy System 800.

These are passive studio monitors manufactured from the early '90s until 2005 or so. They were made in the UK, unlike the current Precision range of studio monitors (the P8, BTW, has been reviewed by WHF, with a 4 star veredict; but the Systems were far superior than the Precisions. That's the opinion of most Tannerds). They have an 8" Dual Concentric, which is basically the same used in the also discontinued Definition 500, which retailed for GBP 2.000. I've also had the D500s, but I sold them because I liked better the neutrality of the System 800. And the System 800 costs only GBP 600.

Amp: Jolida 102b

This is a 25W integrated tube amp, with 4 EL84 Electroharmonix (Russian) output tubes. I upgraded the driver tubes (12AT7) for NOS Telefunken. I don't think that Jolida has a distribution in the UK. It's a shame, because these are really great amps. You may find some reviews on the web. Jolida is a US based brand which products are manufactured in China, but the last assembly is made in the USA. Actually, on their products you can read "made in the USA". So the quality control is excellent, and they have a very low failure rate. This is the second Jolida 102b that I have owned. I sold the previous one, because I got a good deal on a Moon I-3 (there's a WHF review on this one). The I-3's price was GBP 1000 or so; the Jolida is only USD 670. Well, after two days I sold the Moon. For me, the Jolida is much better. Then I bought a Creek 5350SE. Didn't like it either, I prefer the cheaper Jolida. Then I bought an Exposure 2010 power amp, and I used an Advance Acoustic preamp with it. I really liked the Exposure. But I still prefer the Jolida; it just connects me with the music. So in the end, after all those SS amps, I returned to the humble Jolida, which for me sounds better than any SS amp that I've tried for less than GBP 1000.

Source: NAD 521BEE

Well, this is a really nice budget product. It doesn't sound nearly as good as previous CDPs I've had (Arcam and Creek), but it manages to make you forget you are listening to a budget product.

IC: PS Audio Xstream

If you want a weighty bottom end, a full midrange, an overall big and dense sound, and soft (though rolled-off) highs, PS Audio products are the way to go. If you want detail, look elsewhere.

Speaker cables: Nordost Cinemaflex

Not flat; this was the entry level series a few years ago. 14 AWG, thick strands of silver coated copper. Teflon insulation. Great and cheap cables (3 GBP/meter). I've also owned VDH CS-122 and other VDH model which cost was 20 GBP/meter; also Audio Quest Type 4. But I prefer the Nordosts, I'm used to them.

The stands are DIY, made of steel, weighting 12 Kg. I use Sorbothane pads beneath the speakers.

The rack is an OmniMount.

I also have a headphone system for late night listening:

- Denon AH-D1000 headphones

- Creek OBH-11 headphone amp

- Denon DVD-2200 universal player

And a bedroom system:

- Wharfedale Evo2-10 speakers

- Denon DRA-700 stereo receiver (mid-fi, it doesn't sound too well)

- Crappy LG DVD player.

Regards,

Rodrigo

A

Anonymous

ite, love the Jolida. Are you in the UK? Are the actually avail. over there??

Also, how do you pronounce Tannoy? Is the emphasis on the Tan or the oy? I was sure it's on the Tan, like "TAN-noy" but a rep keeps insisting its the other way round.

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:ite, love the Jolida. Are you in the UK? Are the actually avail. over there??

Also, how do you pronounce Tannoy? Is the emphasis on the Tan or the oy? I was sure it's on the Tan, like "TAN-noy" but a rep keeps insisting its the other way round.

Hi,

No, I'm from Chile.

I'm quite sure the English pronunciation is TAN-noy. In Spanish we pronounce it tan-NOY though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts