AMPS: The Outsiders....

Bruno

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I'll try to keep it brief. Currently looking to revamp my whole hifi set-up and I'm looking for a modern amp that is compact, sounds excellent and is pleasing on the eye in terms of styling. I have set my views on the Technics su-c700 (style might divide opinion but I really like those needles) and the TEAC 501-DA. They both have average reviews on what-hifi but raving ones elsewhere...My question is, has anyone owned them / heard them, and what are your thoughts? (especially on the Technics su-c700 where information is scarce).

many thanks

Bruno

jjbomber

Bruno said:
Hello Everyone,

I'll try to keep it brief. Currently looking to revamp my whole hifi set-up and I'm looking for a modern amp that is compact, sounds excellent and is pleasing on the eye in terms of styling. I have set my views on the Technics su-c700 (style might divide opinion but I really like those needles) and the TEAC 501-DA.

Yamaha A-S1100 has needles. Cyrus Lyric 09 is not much more and does everything. Well, everything except print, scan and photocopy!

Bruno

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks JJbomber, I have to say that Cyrus looks....different! Quite the departure from their usual styling. Anyhow I should have mentioned that budget is 500 to 1500gbp and that I am going down the seperates (not all in one route). cheers!

Bruno

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi LPV, no real philosophical reason here if not to acheive a better hifi experience. Have been using good quality streamable peakers (B&W mostly) for a while and feel like I want to upgrade to seperates.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Bruno.

I'm using the TEAC for over a year with B&W 685 s2 and love the combo. Enough bass, good midrange and nice highs. On the volumeknob I don't got further than 1/3. It has enough power for my room. My house is wood framing. The only concrete is under the laminate/carpet. The size is 3 by 5 meters with 3 meters between the speakers and the sofa. The DAC is good enough, for the TV and the settopbox for tv and radio. For CD/DVD/BlueRay I alternate between the dac of the TEAC and the dac of my bluray-player.

The remote is good, only precise volume control is not good, the steps are to great. The volumeknob on the amp is better for precise control.

Great amp for the money.

Good luck searching and auditioning!

jjbomber said:
Bruno said:
Hello Everyone,

I'll try to keep it brief. Currently looking to revamp my whole hifi set-up and I'm looking for a modern amp that is compact, sounds excellent and is pleasing on the eye in terms of styling. I have set my views on the Technics su-c700 (style might divide opinion but I really like those needles) and the TEAC 501-DA.

Yamaha A-S1100 has needles. Cyrus Lyric 09 is not much more and does everything. Well, everything except print, scan and photocopy!

And make the coffee. It is however about £400 more expensive than the Technics and twice as much as the TEAC. Keeping it realistic is useful. Think we need more info on the OP's source and speakers.

Bruno

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Reijer - thanks for the detailed feedback on the TEAC. Goes to show that each must have their own encounter with a new product and eventhough they're helpful, not soley rely on online reviews :) I have heard the amp, it sounds great, looks very cool with the geek/retro styling and it packs some punch.

Are you happy with the B&Ws? I tested them recently after all the hype and if I'm honest they were a bit disapointing.

Speaker wise I'm currently debating between the Triangle Esprit EZ, the KEF LS50s and to keep things compact the Neat Iotas. If anyone has some feedback on those that would be helpful. I am thinking of pairing the ensemble with the bluesound node 2 which has a superior dac to the TEAC.

I feel we might be going slightly off-piste, wanted to double check if anyone had any experience with the Technics su-c700 amp?

thanks

rainsoothe

Hi. You shouldn't go for the separates route just for the sake of it. Add a Unitiqute 2 to your list, coupled with Neat Iotas or Focal Aria 906.

The Neat Iotas should be your prio if you can't put the speakers on stands.

Bruno said:
Reijer - thanks for the detailed feedback on the TEAC. Goes to show that each must have their own encounter with a new product and eventhough they're helpful, not soley rely on online reviews :) I have heard the amp, it sounds great, looks very cool with the geek/retro styling and it packs some punch.

Are you happy with the B&Ws? I tested them recently after all the hype and if I'm honest they were a bit disapointing.

Speaker wise I'm currently debating between the Triangle Esprit EZ, the KEF LS50s and to keep things compact the Neat Iotas. If anyone has some feedback on those that would be helpful. I am thinking of pairing the ensemble with the bluesound node 2 which has a superior dac to the TEAC.

I feel we might be going slightly off-piste, wanted to double check if anyone had any experience with the Technics su-c700 amp?

thanks

I would try to audition those Triangles. Lovely speakers in my opinion but might appear a bit bright in the wrong system. Have not heard them with your intended amp so cannot say for sure. If you can always attempt a home demo when it comes to speakers.

The Neat Iotas will be more forgiving when it comes to placement.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Something like a Lyric, MF's new all-in-one or SuperUniti will probably be up there almost with top separates. For convenience there is no comparison.

However, these days you can buy a decent streamer for a few quid so the need to spend a considerable amount of an all-in-one on that facility could be questionable other than for sheer convenience.

Its also likely your built-in DAC will have been superseded many times in only a few years down the line. I'm not to anal about that as even at todays rate, there is not much software for some of the functions top DAC's have but that could change.

drummerman said:
Something like a Lyric, MF's new all-in-one or SuperUniti will probably be up there almost with top separates. For convenience there is no comparison.

However, these days you can buy a decent streamer for a few quid so the need to spend a considerable amount of an all-in-one on that facility could be questionable other than for sheer convenience.

Its also likely your built-in DAC will have been superseded many times in only a few years down the line. I'm not to anal about that as even at todays rate, there is not much software for some of the functions top DAC's have but that could change.

That's what's like about this forum. This far in and there has been only one member who has attempted to answer the OP's original question. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

That's what's like about this forum. This far in and there has been only one member who has attempted to answer the OP's original question. :)

Surely no-one comes here to look for useful information ... do they?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bruno said:

thanks

I thought you liked the Dali Opticon 2?

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Bruno said:

thanks

Hi Bruno.

In my search for speakers I've auditioned the LS50 and they sounded dull to me. The B&W's are sounding nice to my ears, I'm very happy with them. So it all comes down to your (and mine) personal taste.

When choosing equipment it comes down to the wallet, requirements, room and ears of the aspirant-buyer. And that is difficult enough, besides all the reviews and comments on forums.

I have no experience with the Technics and the speakers you mentioned. Take your time and audition, then make up your mind.

If you ate thinking about an external DAC, than the TEAC AX-501 is also an option. No DAC, balanced inputs and the same retro-look.

Bruno

May 13, 2016
Visit site
BigH nothing gets past you! True I was answersing another reader's question regarding the Dali Opticon 2 and that the fact that yes they do sound good. Put I think my preference will go towards the Neat's or Triangles.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bruno said:
BigH nothing gets past you! True I was answersing another reader's question regarding the Dali Opticon 2 and that the fact that yes they do sound good. Put I think my preference will go towards the Neat's or Triangles.

I see. Well a lot depends on your room, amp and set up. I'm not keen on B&Ws myself, sound all wrong to me, Kef LS50s need really good amp behind them and a bit of volume and space. Try to get a home demo or buy from a dealer with a good return policy.

Bruno

May 13, 2016
Visit site
very true AI! The questions did manage to generate a bucketload of useful information though, still in the dark regarding the Technics amp though. off to send out a more targeted question!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts