Amplifier

S. Basu

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Hiiii,

I am new in Waht Hi Fi. I bought Focal Chorus 706V & Marantz PM 5004 stereo amplifier. But some how I am not happy with it's sound performance. I purchase this product February 2015. After playing 300-400 hours and burning out I didn't get the exellent sound. May be the reason of Amplifier. Plz suggest me can I change my amplifier if yes then what is your recomendation?

I also thinking to switch my system to KEF Q300 with Yamaha AS 500. I need your suggestion.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome, I'm asumiming you listened and liked the Focals? Even if didn't I think you are probally on the right lines with the amp. The Focals are pretty good. What dont you like about the sound? Lack bass? or bass definition tightness. Room size? type of music? But if I were you given your probal budget of £400 for the amp i would try a 2nd hand Rega Brio R or even better a Lemma Pulse, both you should get for around £400 450. the great thing with buying 2nd hand is you should get far better equipment for the price and if you dont like it you can sell it for what you bought it for. I had a Leema Pulse driving PMC DB1i lovely sound, I recently heard some GB1's the floorstanding version also very good.

S. Basu said:
Hiiii,

I am new in Waht Hi Fi. I bought Focal Chorus 706V & Marantz PM 5004 stereo amplifier. But some how I am not happy with it's sound performance. I purchase this product February 2015. After playing 300-400 hours and burning out I didn't get the exellent sound. May be the reason of Amplifier. Plz suggest me can I change my amplifier if yes then what is your recomendation?

I also thinking to switch my system to KEF Q300 with Yamaha AS 500. I need your suggestion.

Focals are generally very good and should match the Marantz well. As IQ says did you audition both before parting with your money, and what aspect of the sound aren't you too pleased with?

Before looking at new amps, try moving the speakers around. Sometimes a few inches furthe out from the wall... or closer. it can make a audible difference.

Should that not be satisfactory, I know from personal experience Focals match excellently with Arcam amplification. I would suggest looking at a s/hand Arcam FMJ A18 or, even better, A19.

S. Basu

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanx for your opinion. My problem is I didn't get detail sound. It's Bass & Trible is very high but mid not up to the mark. Accutually I am from India. Yamaha A S500 or R S500 is suitable for my Speaker?

S. Basu

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Focal Sound with Marantz PM 5004 bass and Trible are very high but detailing is very poor. I didn't get the detail of the sound. I am from india Rega Brio or Lemma Pulse is not available in India. I have option Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Denon. Yamaha A S500 or R S500 is good with Focal? If yes then which one is better.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The NAD would seem a good choice given your choice, I don't know the relative price of these brand in India. I would take your amp and speakers with you for a demo, you can then validate the issue you are having.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
For you I think Yam AS 500 is ok , with his large soundstage and bright medium freq. response, thanks to his 85 W!

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
S. Basu said:
Thanx for your opinion. My problem is I didn't get detail sound. It's Bass & Trible is very high but mid not up to the mark. Accutually I am from India. Yamaha A S500 or R S500 is suitable for my Speaker?

Well I have arcam a19, with focal 905. And it sound very good to me. Very clear, great for pop music. Lot of detail there. Regaring bass, your amp may not be up to the job. What size is the room? Is there anyone you know, where you could, swap your amp, or speakers, for a while. Then you have better idear

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
A amplifier candidate would be Marantz pm6005, maybe you can bring your speakers to the hifi shop and test, but I hope and belive that Marantz is going to release the Pm6006 soon. Anyway Marantz is the brand to go for, I had a Yamaha a-s500 but it won´t has the soundquality as a marantz pm600x.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts