Question Amplifier with more precise volume control than Marantz PM6006

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
i don't know the technical name for the volume control that you are specifically desiring but i've had a few that the volume begins at 100db, and goes up to 0db.
i think it reduces the amount of attenuation, rather than amplifying the signal. (like i say, unsure about the technicalities)
my Marantz PM14s1se has this type, also my Arcam A70 has too.
the volume increases very slowly till you get to around half way or more, so that could be what you are after.

Plekuz

May 2, 2021
Visit site
Silly question, but I honestly don't know for sure: does the output wattage of an amp matter in how far you have to turn the volume dial between different levels?

Mine is 45W (at 8ohm) and say I have to turn the dial 10 degrees to gain 10dB (fictional numbers). When I change the amp for a 90W one, does it mean it gains faster, so the dial one has to turn 5 degrees to gain 10dB? So volume control could even be more tricky?

insider9

Silly question, but I honestly don't know for sure: does the output wattage of an amp matter in how far you have to turn the volume dial between different levels?
None whatsoever. In fact the misconception that it does is what makes manufacturers, particularly on budget end, put pots that get loud quick. It makes the amp seem more powerful in the mind of the buyer. If it's "this loud" at 9 o'clock (25%) it must be very powerful. When most of the times they too out at 12-1 o'clock.

Plekuz

May 2, 2021
Visit site
None whatsoever. In fact the misconception that it does is what makes manufacturers, particularly on budget end, put pots that get loud quick. It makes the amp seem more powerful in the mind of the buyer. If it's "this loud" at 9 o'clock (25%) it must be very powerful. When most of the times they too out at 12-1 o'clock.
Ah, so it is probably more or less the other way around from my initial thought: more expensive and more powerful amps have better volume control, because the customer does not have to be fooled with the "getting loud fast" trickery.

insider9

Ah, so it is probably more or less the other way around from my initial thought: more expensive and more powerful amps have better volume control, because the customer does not have to be fooled with the "getting loud fast" trickery.
Absolutely! Goes further than this the more experienced customers will also not be impressed by wattage.

On a lower end it's easier to sell an amp on the basis that it's 100Wpc not 50Wpc. Twice the power in some people's head is twice as good. Right? Wrong. In real terms doubling of amp power gives you only extra 3dB of loudness.

Not to mention that 50W from a good amp is more than 200W from a crappy one.

D

Deleted member 160668

If in doubt, chuck the remote at the wall 🤣 I am of course joking.

Now I confess, I've only skimmed the thread so this may be covered already - but two things:

Have you tried a different remote? The IR blaster in yours might be knackered causing this issue!

Have you tried attenuators - 20 quid on eBay - easy money back selling them on if doesn't work... I use these on my Sugden which has a zero-to-hero volume dial to give it a bit more adjust.

D

Deleted member 160668

Absolutely! Goes further than this the more experienced customers will also not be impressed by wattage.

On a lower end it's easier to sell an amp on the basis that it's 100Wpc not 50Wpc. Twice the power in some people's head is twice as good. Right? Wrong. In real terms doubling of amp power gives you only extra 3dB of loudness.

Not to mention that 50W from a good amp is more than 200W from a crappy one.
Hardly crappy, but my old Arcam A39 had 120w. My current amp Sugden A21 Signature, has only 23w. It goes plenty loud enough to become uncomfortably loud, but also sounds much better. Probs not a fair fight as in a different price point. You don't need many high quality W to sound awesome.

insider9

Hardly crappy, but my old Arcam A39 had 120w. My current amp Sugden A21 Signature, has only 23w. It goes plenty loud enough to become uncomfortably loud, but also sounds much better. Probs not a fair fight as in a different price point. You don't need many high quality W to sound awesome.
Exactly. Great example!

Not all Watts sound the same :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 108165

The money you'll spend on attenuators considering you're not only looking for analogue but also digital ones would be far better spend upgrading your amp to something that matches your needs.
Not sure if £80 would get much of an amp upgrade, (the price of two pairs of Rothwells) :)
Can you actually get a digital attenuator for an amp input??

Also a note to the OP, the Marantz PM7000N will probably have the same issues with the volume pot as your current amp. After I upgraded from the PM6004 to the PM8000 series the volume sweep was identical to that of the PM6004. It was only my current amp where the issue was resolved with a far more linear volume increase, without the need of attenuation. It would appear that the PM14 has the same linear volume increase.

You may be able to find what you are looking for in different brand of amplifier, cos spending a grand on a new Marantz isn't gonna cut it for you. Try a different remote before spending a wad of cash.

If you live anywhere near Essex you are more than welcome to borrow my spare Marantz remote and a pair of Rothwell attenuators.

Reactions: insider9

insider9

Not sure if £80 would get much of an amp upgrade, (the price of two pairs of Rothwells) :)
Can you actually get a digital attenuator for an amp input??

Also a note to the OP, the Marantz PM7000N will probably have the same issues with the volume pot as your current amp. After I upgraded from the PM6004 to the PM8000 series the volume sweep was identical to that of the PM6004. It was only my current amp where the issue was resolved with a far more linear volume increase, without the need of attenuation. It would appear that the PM14 has the same linear volume increase.

You may be able to find what you are looking for in different brand of amplifier, cos spending a grand on a new Marantz isn't gonna cut it for you. Try a different remote before spending a wad of cash.

If you live anywhere near Essex you are more than welcome to borrow my spare Marantz remote and a pair of Rothwell attenuators.
Jesus Doug. You only make me dislike modern entry level Marantz gear more :D (still no issue with older ones haha) :ROFLMAO:

I appreciate that £80 for two pairs isn't much and could quickly provide some respite. But if turntable is involved with no external phono stage then there's another issue and here we go again.

You might actually be hitting the nail on the head with remote suggestion. It could definitely be that. I take it the motor in the motorised pot isn't too smooth. With this in my should an upgrade materialise maybe a digital pot would be more appropriate.

I didn't want to say it but this from the beginning sounded like an excuse to me. I think OP just wants a new toy to play with and had to come up with a true but reasonable excuse to do it. You know... not to disturb others.

D

Deleted member 108165

Ooh you are awful, but I do like you, (**** Emery) :D

I found the Marantz motorised pots to be smooth in operation but more logarithmic than linear regarding volume increase. It certainly seems to be the case that the newer amps are plagued with this issue for the very reasons you have previously stated. The higher models aren't motorised, mine certainly isn't and is definitely more linear.

You could well be right, it's very easy to find annoying issues with a set-up when the upgraditis bug starts itching, maybe it's the itch that's driving him mad. Most of us have disappeared down that rabbit hole at one stage or another... some of us resurface with contentment restored... others are lost for years in the tweaking labyrinth :)

Edit: would appear that Richard's nickname isn't allowed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: insider9

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I too have a PM6006 and I also agree that the remote control is a bit to generous with its volume increments. That said, I tend to go old-stylee and get off my posterior and use the rotary job. Harsh but cheaper than a replacement amp.
Exactly what I did with mine, was really never an issue for me when I had the Marantz.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I can't compare the sound of the PM6006 to our Yamaha RN-602. But from a convenience perspective I can certainly recommend a network receiver. The Yamaha RN-803D should be even better than ours.

Spotify Connect works extremely well with our RN-602. I can't wait to get CD quality streaming from Spotify.

To come back to universal remotes. I can certainly recommend a Logitech one with the possibility to program activities. It's very easy to be able to switch from say phono to TV. My other half loves the universal remote too, especially getting rid of all the clutter.
With activities defined switching is incredibly easy. Example. When I want to listen to the record player I start the activity "Phono". The amp switches on and switches to the Phono input. If I later want to watch TV I choose the activity "TV" on the remote. The TV switches on, selects digital TV, the amp switches to Optical 1. Etc, etc.
You don't need a networked amp to use a universal remote. With our Yamaha the volume adjustment through the Logitech remote is extremely smooth. The Yamaha also has the option to define the gain per input. I only changed the setting for the Phono input to make the record player a bit more in line with other inputs.
Hi,

I have got a Marantz PM6006 hooked up to my Audio Technica LP5 turntable and via an optical cable to my TV. The speakers are Dali Zensor 3. Generally I am very happy with the setup and love the sound coming from my Marantz.

However, a big gripe is the volume control through the remote and the dial itself. It is terribly imprecise. It goes from too soft to too loud with one short press or sometimes the dial moves a little and the volume does not change at all.

This has been an annoyance from the start. My question: does anyone know a trick to solve this or could recommend a more or less similar sounding amplifier in the let's say 500 to 1200 price range with a volume control that is way more precise? Reviews never mention this, which I understand.

Thanks!
I have being through the same situation as a PM6005 ,651A user. Now moved on to DNP 800NE (Digital Network Player)PMA 600NE and Yamaha RN803 1) RN 803 has 0.5db steps volume and works for me 2) Since the PMA Denon amp is setup via the DNP variable out the volume control is precise or much better than using the amp volume knob via remote

daveyh1

Nov 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I have got a Marantz PM6006 hooked up to my Audio Technica LP5 turntable and via an optical cable to my TV. The speakers are Dali Zensor 3. Generally I am very happy with the setup and love the sound coming from my Marantz.

However, a big gripe is the volume control through the remote and the dial itself. It is terribly imprecise. It goes from too soft to too loud with one short press or sometimes the dial moves a little and the volume does not change at all.

This has been an annoyance from the start. My question: does anyone know a trick to solve this or could recommend a more or less similar sounding amplifier in the let's say 500 to 1200 price range with a volume control that is way more precise? Reviews never mention this, which I understand.

Thanks!
Hi, I'm have the exact same problem with my 6006 Uk Edition. If I can't sort it, I'll sell the amp as with remote it's often either too soft or too loud.. my cheap sony amp had full control! Did you find a solution? Thanks

Plekuz

May 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I'm have the exact same problem with my 6006 Uk Edition. If I can't sort it, I'll sell the amp as with remote it's often either too soft or too loud.. my cheap sony amp had full control! Did you find a solution? Thanks
Yes, yes I did and you asking about it is timed very well. Since yesterday I have an Audiolab 6000A Play and retired the Marantz. The Audiolab has a very precise volume control and sounds every bit as good as the Marantz did, plus the streaming capabilities are a nice bonus. Not a cheap solution, but one I am very happy with nonetheless.

daveyh1

Nov 5, 2021
Visit site
Yes, yes I did and you asking about it is timed very well. Since yesterday I have an Audiolab 6000A Play and retired the Marantz. The Audiolab has a very precise volume control and sounds every bit as good as the Marantz did, plus the streaming capabilities are a nice bonus. Not a cheap solution, but one I am very happy with nonetheless.
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at that model, will pop into Richer Sounds and take a look. Cheers D

Plekuz

May 2, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at that model, will pop into Richer Sounds and take a look. Cheers D
Good luck with finding an amp that suits you. One thing to note about the Audiolab which is not something you might think about. If you plan to connect the amp to your TV with a toslink cable, the Audiolab offers jitter correction on the optical 2 connection (PPL wide setting) which eliminates audio drops from badly implemented optical out connections on certain TV's (I am looking at you Samsung, but some LG's apparently have it as well). It mainly happens with amps that carry a ESS Sabre DAC, but not all have the option to correct it like the Audiolab does.

Anyway, if it does not apply to your use case, maybe it is helpful information for someone else.

AJM1981

Thank you, but it is not going from inaudible to ear deafening loud. It is more like it skips two or three levels of volume control between each press on the remote and then when I try to turn the dial on the amp to one of the skipped levels it seems not to respond immediately to every minor adjustment.

I highly doubt the amp is faulty, just would like to know if there are amps where you could set the volume easier or more precise. With a display showing where it is at and/or being able to punch in the number you want the volume to be at.

I owned a Harman Kardon Amp that I couldn't get right with the remote as well. I always needed to turn the knob in between values to get it a bit right. It was one of the reasons I sold it with the main reason being that huge amps for living rooms are on its way out as technology makes progress.

My more modern Yamaha Wxa50 and Arylic A50+ both do their job well on this.

I think it is almost save to say that most modern amps have precise volume control.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts