Amplifier suggestions for new lively speakers

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Just got new AVI Neutron 5s and although full of admiration for their talents , ive tipped the balance of my system into fatigue mode.

Dont get me wrong, it sounds like an amazing set up but like a lot of small speakers it likes a bit of juice to become the rythmic beasts that they are. Problem is female vocals can then become a bit shrill and forward.

Im playing my arcam 192 through a Rotel 1062 amp which i think is a well balanced system but perhaps im getting old and cant handel the excitment any more.

Any suggestions for a different brand sound amplifier that still has the dynamics and power but might smooth of the " in yer face " upper freqs ?

A

Anonymous

I used to have a rotel 1062 didnt know it could do fatigue...always thought it was a great amp but if anything could do with a bit more top end!!!!!

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions....interesting what you say about the rotel. Makes me wonder if its just bad recordings ive got. What qualities do you have to look for in amplifier presentation to get a smooth vocal sound?

A

Anonymous

I have a Rotel RA03 on some very transparent speakers indeed and I've often thought both remarks are true; the amp could do with more top end openness and that the treble is sometimes a little shrill or harsh. Neither problem lies with the speakers, that's a certainty.

I'm in a complete confusion over what amp to buy next to give the smooth, natural and rhythmic sound I want but the AVI suggestion is a good start for your search. Also consider Primare and Arcam. I throughly recommend the Rega Mira 3 as a good tonic to your ailments too.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
The AVI amp is way out of mybudget at the moment but the primare 21 is going for good deals at the moment as is the obvious contendor the arcam90 but the magazine was quiet negative about that model. I guess seven oaks would be a good place to demo for those models so ill see what i can do. The rotel sound is definetly forward in the midrange and it it a bit of a lean machine

I suppose room acoustics could effect sound also, i do have a lot of vibration through the floor despite having partington supports.

I Anyways, thanks for the recoms

matthewpiano

kusum65:
The AVI amp is way out of mybudget at the moment but the primare 21 is going for good deals at the moment as is the obvious contendor the arcam90 but the magazine was quiet negative about that model. I guess seven oaks would be a good place to demo for those models so ill see what i can do. The rotel sound is definetly forward in the midrange and it it a bit of a lean machine

I suppose room acoustics could effect sound also, i do have a lot of vibration through the floor despite having partington supports.

Don't discount the Denon PMA1500AE, as suggested by Drummerman. I auditioned lots of different amps when I bought mine about a month ago and it stood out to me. I still love every minute spent listening to it. Its proving a great buy.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:kusum65:

Don't discount the Denon PMA1500AE, as suggested by Drummerman. I auditioned lots of different amps when I bought mine about a month ago and it stood out to me. I still love every minute spent listening to it. Its proving a great buy.

It beats my Arcam A32 which has an RRP of double the price! Smashing amplifier which has immense build quality!

matthewpiano

kusum65:Did you find it smooth in the vocal dept ?

Yes. Vocals sound wonderful. The amp seems to strike a very good balance between detail, excitement and warmth. I never end up listening to the hi-fi - it leaves me to enjoy the music, which is what its all about in my book.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:kusum65:Did you find it smooth in the vocal dept ?

Yes. Vocals sound wonderful. The amp seems to strike a very good balance between detail, excitement and warmth. I never end up listening to the hi-fi - it leaves me to enjoy the music, which is what its all about in my book.

Accept when you get to the end of a CD and you realise you were listening to the hi-fi, you go "wow, that was good!"

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that. I always forget Denon because they went all AV years ago and seemed to stop doing stereo. I heard one years ago against a marantz and an Exposure and it definetly sounded more civilised, although i was a young buck then and that wasnt what i wanted at the time. Dont suppose you know who stocks them do you? Sevenoaks dont seem to do them any more.

matthewpiano

Hughes123:matthewpiano:kusum65:Did you find it smooth in the vocal dept ?

Accept when you get to the end of a CD and you realise you were listening to the hi-fi, you go "wow, that was good!"

Done that a few times actually. This system really transports me in a way that no other hi-fi ever has and I do sometimes come down to earth with a bump when I have to get up and change the CD! I agree with your comments about the build quality as well. Beautiful kit. Headphone stage is rather good as well which is nice after the miserable one that my 740A had.

matthewpiano

kusum65:Thanks for that. I always forget Denon because they went all AV years ago and seemed to stop doing stereo. I heard one years ago against a marantz and an Exposure and it definetly sounded more civilised, although i was a young buck then and that wasnt what i wanted at the time. Dont suppose you know who stocks them do you? Sevenoaks dont seem to do them any more.

Do you have a Superfi near you? I got mine from them and found them to be excellent. I think Audio T are dealers for Denon as well.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:kusum65:Thanks for that. I always forget Denon because they went all AV years ago and seemed to stop doing stereo. I heard one years ago against a marantz and an Exposure and it definetly sounded more civilised, although i was a young buck then and that wasnt what i wanted at the time. Dont suppose you know who stocks them do you? Sevenoaks dont seem to do them any more.

Do you have a Superfi near you? I got mine from them and found them to be excellent. I think Audio T are dealers for Denon as well.

Or use their brilliant site - they are very quick and very good value!

matthewpiano

Hughes123:matthewpiano:kusum65:Thanks for that. I always forget Denon because they went all AV years ago and seemed to stop doing stereo. I heard one years ago against a marantz and an Exposure and it definetly sounded more civilised, although i was a young buck then and that wasnt what i wanted at the time. Dont suppose you know who stocks them do you? Sevenoaks dont seem to do them any more.

Or use their brilliant site - they are very quick and very good value!

...but Denon hi-fi seperates are now only available by visiting a dealer. Like Marantz and current range Arcam, Denon does not permit online sales of its hi-fi seperates anymore.

I think its not a bad thing because I would urge you to get an audition anyway. Its a lot of money and everyone's ears are different.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Ive got a super fi in Camden town . Never dealt with them before but as long as they are cool about auditioning ( ever tried to get a demo from Richer sounds?) ill give them a call.

T

the record spot

A

Anonymous

Is it me, or is there a bit of a late 70s, Japanease renaissance going on at the moment: I mean, look at what's being pumped out of the far eastern factories...
1_gr_eb_PMASA1_inside2.jpg

yamaha_as2000s_2.jpg

e_ma9s2_med.gif

denon-ah-d7000-high-end-headphones.jpg

denon_dp_500m.jpg

matthewpiano

the record spot:matthewpiano:
...but Denon hi-fi seperates are now only available by visiting a dealer. Like Marantz and current range Arcam, Denon does not permit online sales of its hi-fi seperates anymore.

Empire Direct currently have Denon kit available online Matthew - is this the case? Makes for interesting reading if Denon don't permit this!

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~DEN-PMA1500AE-BLA~dt~HiFi+Separates~st~Amplifier~make~Denon.htm

I think they are contradicting the terms of their contract with Denon, who have definitely gone down the same route as their sister company Marantz in this sense. It is a fairly recent change though.

matthewpiano

Hughes123:Is it me, or is there a bit of a late 70s, Japanease renaissance going on at the moment: I mean, look at what's being pumped out of the far eastern factories...
1_gr_eb_PMASA1_inside2.jpg

yamaha_as2000s_2.jpg

e_ma9s2_med.gif

denon-ah-d7000-high-end-headphones.jpg

denon_dp_500m.jpg

That Denon turntable would complete my system nicely....... Think I would have to get it imported though. :-(

A

Anonymous

That's a dream system of mine: That turntable, those headphones and the Denon at the top coupled with some vintage Yamaha NSX-10000 speakers. Says alot about what I think of british hi-fi - sadly, I'm not a fan!

matthewpiano

Hughes123:That's a dream system of mine: That turntable, those headphones and the Denon at the top coupled with some vintage Yamaha NSX-10000 speakers. Says alot about what I think of british hi-fi - sadly, I'm not a fan!

...and yet you have Arcam CD, Arcam amp and B&W speakers??!!?? Are you not satisfied with your set-up?

I don't think you can generalise about British gear in general. I'm not an Arcam fan but I think the Rega stuff is very good and I think there is a lot to like about the Naim kit. I've not heard enough MF kit to make an opinion. It was a close call for me between the Rega and Denon set-ups but I find the Denon shares the Rega's naturalness and musicality whilst maintaing much better grip on the more complex passages in the music.

I love the appearance of Japanese gear though and I'm thrilled to have found equipment that combines that classic 70s look of the old Pioneer and Sansui kit with really top rate sound in brand new components that don't suffer from leaky caps etc.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Hughes123:That's a dream system of mine: That turntable, those headphones and the Denon at the top coupled with some vintage Yamaha NSX-10000 speakers. Says alot about what I think of british hi-fi - sadly, I'm not a fan!

...and yet you have Arcam CD, Arcam amp and B&W speakers??!!?? Are you not satisfied with your set-up?

I don't think you can generalise about British gear in general. I'm not an Arcam fan but I think the Rega stuff is very good and I think there is a lot to like about the Naim kit. I've not heard enough MF kit to make an opinion. It was a close call for me between the Rega and Denon set-ups but I find the Denon shares the Rega's naturalness and musicality whilst maintaing much better grip on the more complex passages in the music.

I love the appearance of Japanese gear though and I'm thrilled to have found equipment that combines that classic 70s look of the old Pioneer and Sansui kit with really top rate sound in brand new components that don't suffer from leaky caps etc.

Oh don't get me wrong - there is some brilliant British equipment out there and I certainly shouldn't generalise! I am sort of content with my system (my current B&W speakers are excellent! and my A32 is to a certain extent) but there are areas in which it can be improved. Japanease equipment (from the likes of Denon, JVC, Pioneer etc) is just on another level of "musicality" in my opinion and they look amazing too!

As for leaky caps, I've experienced a truly "leaky" capacitor - I've had one literally explode when I was thrashing an old Technics amp with Pink Floyd once...

T

the record spot

I suppose this might be taken as a wild over simplification, but most folk tend to play their CDs on their systems, not batter the living daylights out of them with them. Call me old fashioned an' all...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts