New speakers for 20 year old amplifier...

BigJeff

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have an ancient but competent Magnum ai170 amplifier, CA azur 540c with valve output stage, upgraded clock and caps and am considering a new pair of speakers to replace a pair of gale 4 floor standing speakers that have rotted out due to the sand I used years ago absorbing moisture! I have a budget of £300 and would like stand mounted speakers.

Any suggestions on what speakers might match well with the above would help me narrow down any auditions I may take. As you can see I've not bought anything remotely modern for quite a while. I listen to mostly rock music and prefer a natural and well controlled sound.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Do not worry about speakers matching your amplifier, unless they are totally ineffiicient they have to match your listening room,

Perhaps size / layout of rooom and distance from rear wall available would help here.

That's so true. I remember auditioning a pair of B&W DM4's, many years ago. In the showroom I thought they sounded great. Got them home, well....

BigJeff

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, here's the rub. They're to go in a conservatory. Yes I know, not ideal but it's all I got. Its 3m x 3m and has a sofa in it and carpet. Speakers will be placed by a window with room to leave a 2 foot gap in any direction. Rear wall is brick which the sofa sits against. One side wall is also brick with the remaining being glass with Venetian blinds on them.

I have to say the location has not coloured the sound too much, maybe treble is a bit ring a ding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts