amplifier stereo for B&W 603 S3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
kingcrimson:
rick ji

the naim nait 5i is 50 watts/channel.is that enough to drive the 603S3?

how much does the naim 5i or the XS retail for in the UK?

maybe i could pick one up on my next visit out of the country where the prices would be lower i think.......

nait pound 770? and Xs1250?

dhanyabad

namaste kingcrimson

The Naim Nait 5i is @ £815 and the Nait XS is @ £1455. The Nait 5i is capable of driving the 603S3's however the Nait XS will offer a significant step up.

bada mem

Rick @ Musicraft

hifilover1979:
Personally I wouldnt go down the Naim Nait 5i route with the 603 S3's... I've heard this combo and with some 603 S2's as well and it sounded awful.

The Naim suits some speakers well but for me it really doesnt drive B&W's as well as they should be driven; the sound is too thin and the bass a little flabby.

I'd stick with the likes or Arcam, NAD or Rotel. Even the Musical Fidelity range would be a good option

Hi hifilover1979

But the 603S2's are not 603S3's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:hifilover1979:

Personally I wouldnt go down the Naim Nait 5i route with the 603 S3's... I've heard this combo and with some 603 S2's as well and it sounded awful.

The Naim suits some speakers well but for me it really doesnt drive B&W's as well as they should be driven; the sound is too thin and the bass a little flabby.

I'd stick with the likes or Arcam, NAD or Rotel. Even the Musical Fidelity range would be a good option

Hi hifilover1979

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Apologies; mis-type!

I've heard the Nait with the 603 S3's as well...

As for the Arcam FMJ A18 being the right amp for the 603 S3's; no. Sorry... It';s just not powerful enough...

Not the FMJ A38 would be superb but I'd say thats out of your budget.

A decent 2nd hand Arcam FMJ A32 or Alpha 10 would be superb; but I'd still go with the NAD C356BEE or Rotel RA1520 new...

You could also look at the NAD C165BEE/C275BEE pre/power combo; to me it's bl**dy superb
emotion-11.gif

hifilover1979:
MUSICRAFT:hifilover1979:

Hi hifilover1979

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Apologies; mis-type!

I've heard the Nait with the 603 S3's as well...

As for the Arcam FMJ A18 being the right amp for the 603 S3's; no. Sorry... It';s just not powerful enough...

Not the FMJ A38 would be superb but I'd say thats out of your budget.

A decent 2nd hand Arcam FMJ A32 or Alpha 10 would be superb; but I'd still go with the NAD C356BEE or Rotel RA1520 new...

You could also look at the NAD C165BEE/C275BEE pre/power combo; to me it's bl**dy superb
emotion-11.gif

Hi hifilover1979

Fair enough. Although i appreciate it you don't really need to apologize
emotion-1.gif

Yes, i've also recommended the NAD C356BEE to kingcrimson. The RA-1520 is good but a better alternative would be the RA-1062. As an added bonus a the RA-1062 is likely to also cost singnificantly less then the RA-1520. I feel the RA-1062 is the finest overall amplifier Rotel have produced in the last ten years.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
hello everybody.i auditioned some amplifiers in the nearest city.

NAD 355 BEE +B&W 685 speakers-sounded good.could not compare the duo with another set.

Dali Concept 6 speakers with CA 650A, Creek Evo, Arcam A90, Sugden mystro.

i found the CA to be ?shrilly.

the fun started with the next 3-- Creek-for the first time i found music to be warm detailed and doing"funny things" .music was music!

arcam was even warmer in sound but i found the bass to be heavy-paired finally with B&W would it be even more bassy?

Sugden was wow!but frankly out of my reach at Pound 1350!

any thoughts

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts