amplifier stereo for B&W 603 S3

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I need to buy an amplifier for my B & W 603 S3 speakers-floor standing ones and am undecided between the Yamaha AS500 and the NAD 356 BEE.suggestions anyone?

i listen to a lot of rock("old"?)and blues and jazz.Need the amplfier to sound be warm yet the treble mid and bass should be bright enough.

I wouldn't recommend the Nad with your speakers. The Nad is a fine amp but tends to be a little bass reliant. Your 603s have similar traits ie heavy bass.

I'd be looking in the region of Creek Evo II, Rotel RA-06SE or Roksan Kandy LIII. These amps won't highlight the heavy-handedness of the B&Ws.

A

Anonymous

a fellow forumite "torres09" has those speakers paired with a marantz pm63ki-sig amp and he loves the combo, the amp may now be around 15 years old but it's still excellent and apparently compares well to many sub £1k modern amps, worth a look on ebay, they regularly pop up.

A

Anonymous

Once again I dont agree with the NAD comment

The NAD C356BEE is a very good amp and will suit the speakers well; however maybe have a look round for a NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated via eBay

Other possibilities would be the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated or maybe a Rotel RA06 integrated. The Roksan Kandy LIII integrated would be a very good choice as well but IMO the Creek Evo II wouldnt be as good a match

It'd be handy to know what your overall budget is and also what cabling you're using (i.e. interconects and speaker cable etc...)

T

the record spot

Depends on your budget and what kind of sound you like. Oh and do consider alternative manufacturers out there, both new and used, than the oft-mentioned usual suspects (the NADs, Arcams, etc...plenty of gear out there that'll cut the mustard and might even do a better job).

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
thanks for suggestions.

cables for the speakers have been supplied by the B&W dealer.dunno which or what variety.

neither the NAD or the rotel is available where i live so no way of me hooking up the speakers with any amplifier.

was googling for Niam too,apparently available about 1500 miles away!

budgetting about ?$1000 or so.

BTW,whats the difference between 356 and 355?

T

the record spot

I suppose, bearing that in mind, you might give us an idea of i) where you live and ii) what products are available locally?!

hifilover1979:

Once again I dont agree with the NAD comment

The NAD C356BEE is a very good amp and will suit the speakers well; however maybe have a look round for a NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated via eBay

Other possibilities would be the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated or maybe a Rotel RA06 integrated. The Roksan Kandy LIII integrated would be a very good choice as well but IMO the Creek Evo II wouldnt be as good a match

It'd be handy to know what your overall budget is and also what cabling you're using (i.e. interconects and speaker cable etc...)

Didn't expect you to agree with me about the Nad. As I've mentioned in other posts, Nad have produced some really good amps over the years . . . others on here will tend to agree that Nad can be "bass heavy". This is the only reason why I wouldn't recommend it in this particular instance. The overall balance would be a little fatiguing.

As regards the Creek. When I had it recently on a four day home dem it was stonking; very agile, tight, fast bass - much better suited to the aforementioned B&Ws. In addition, the Creek has a very punchy, powerful sound... the key thing is you've mentioned Arcam. Well, Creek has a very similar tonal balance to Arcam....

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i live in India.in a small city,where only yamaha and cambridge audio are available.

most other brands- NAD,creek and arcam are available about 4 hours away while naim and rotel are really "far" away.

i would possibly be more inclined towards the first 3 or local ones since service would not be a problem should anything go wrong.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
A550 and A650 from Cambridge are also very good amps. Since there are not many options for you I think you should hear them also and compare with the yamaha.

A

Anonymous

kingcrimson:
i live in India.in a small city,where only yamaha and cambridge audio are available.

most other brands- NAD,creek and arcam are available about 4 hours away while naim and rotel are really "far" away.

i would possibly be more inclined towards the first 3 or local ones since service would not be a problem should anything go wrong.

In that case I'd go for the Yamaha

It'll work very well and will provide some great detail & smoothness; more so with the likes of Jazz etc...

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
auditioned the CA 550 and found the bass to be booming a little.

heard that the 650 has some problems regarding the left and right channels-one sound much more than the other.........

T

the record spot

Then I think you have answered your question...! Is there a secondhand or ex-dem market you could access locally to have some other options?

A

Anonymous

Lee H:
maxflinn:a fellow forumite "torres09"

Off topic. Do you think he'll be changing that name?
emotion-1.gif
yea i think he's eying up suarez07...

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
hi PP am thinking of upping the bar.now looking at the "higher " audiophile amps.

toying with arcam A18(under powered?)or creek EVO 2.the roksan caspienM2 maybe too far out of my reach and i doubt if a second hand is available.

noddy1977

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The Pioneer A6 mk2 is worth a listen and scores 5 stars, I'm using one with a pair of B&W 704's and find it works well( previously using a MF A308 but had to sell for money reasons), it surprisingly has a very open sound and very tight bass and where it lacks in sheer grunt like some other amps your speakers will make up for this!!

kingcrimson:
hi PP am thinking of upping the bar.now looking at the "higher " audiophile amps.

toying with arcam A18(under powered?)or creek EVO 2.the roksan caspienM2 maybe too far out of my reach and i doubt if a second hand is available.

Namaste kingcrimson

I used to sell the 603 S3 speakers. New amplifiers to consider are the NAD C356BEE, Naim Nait 5i or Nait XS. If you are also happy to look at used components then Rotel's RA-1062, Marantz PM64, NAD C370, Krell KAV-400xi and Audiolab's 8000s are worth serious consideration.

I would highly recommend anyone one of these seven amplifiers as they work superbly with your speakers.

bada mem

Rick @ Musicraft

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
namaste rick,

the naim retails here for a near pounds 2000!the dealer here told me that it may not be a good amp for rock and jazz rock and that i should look at the roksan caspian M2 ,which is cheaper and more suited..............................

suggestions welcome

kingcrimson:
namaste rick,

the naim retails here for a near pounds 2000!the dealer here told me that it may not be a good amp for rock and jazz rock and that i should look at the roksan caspian M2 ,which is cheaper and more suited..............................

suggestions welcome

Namaste kingcrimson Mere dosta

So what is the the upper limit of your budget please?

bada mem

Rick @ Musicraft

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
rick mere yaar,

about 1200 pounds,i guess.i write "i guess" since this amplifier will or should last for a long time..........

my first amplifier bought in high school went on for 15years,and the next an absolutely fab pioneer surround hifi receiver amp for the next 20years!

now my 3rd upgrade

regards

kingcrimson:
rick mere yaar,

about 1200 pounds,i guess.i write "i guess" since this amplifier will or should last for a long time..........

my first amplifier bought in high school went on for 15years,and the next an absolutely fab pioneer surround hifi receiver amp for the next 20years!

now my 3rd upgrade

regards

Accha subaha kingcrimson

From the new amplifiers you really need to look at the Naim amplifiers as these will be far better match with the 603S3's. Whilst the Roksan is a good however when used with 603S3's i feel this combination will sound heavy and loose. Frankly too much of a good thing.

Referring back to my original list i would consider the amps in the following order

NEW Naim Nait XS, Naim Nait 5i, NAD C356BEE

USED/DISCONTINUED Krell KAV-400xi, Audiolab 8000s, Rotel RA-1062, Marantz PM64, NAD C370

bada mem

Rick @ Musicraft

kingcrimson

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
rick ji

the naim nait 5i is 50 watts/channel.is that enough to drive the 603S3?

how much does the naim 5i or the XS retail for in the UK?

maybe i could pick one up on my next visit out of the country where the prices would be lower i think.......

nait pound 770? and Xs1250?

dhanyabad

A

Anonymous

Personally I wouldnt go down the Naim Nait 5i route with the 603 S3's... I've heard this combo and with some 603 S2's as well and it sounded awful.

The Naim suits some speakers well but for me it really doesnt drive B&W's as well as they should be driven; the sound is too thin and the bass a little flabby.

I'd stick with the likes or Arcam, NAD or Rotel. Even the Musical Fidelity range would be a good option

TRENDING THREADS