Question Amplifier/receiver advice needed

Coen

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

At the moment I am working on my first pair of stereo DIY speakers (Amiga's by Paul Carmody, see specs here: https://www.sites.google.com/site/undefinition/floorstanding-speakers/amiga?authuser=0). However, I don't have a good amplifier yet to drive it. I looked on the internet and found some second hand deals. I am a student and am therefore tight on a budget (around 100 euros):
- Yamaha R-S300 receiver for €60
- Marantz SR5005 for €125 (I heard a 7.1 amp is not always as good for stereo speakers, is this true?
- Harman/Kardon HK3270 for €70
- Denon AVR 1910 for €55
- Phillips FA931 amp for €85
- NAD C340 for €120

What do you guys think would be the best for many years to come? Or are these all not that good and should I wait for other deals (at my parents house I used to have a Marantz PM-52SE amp and I want the same kind of music quality). If you guys think I should up my budget in order to drive the speakers well then that would also be fine. I mainly listen to orchestra/classical music (e.g. Hans Zimmer) and soft rock. I really like an amp with good high frequency respons whilst still having a good bass.

Kind regards,

Coen

Welcome to the forum.
Cut down your shortlist by forgetting all A/V receivers would be my suggestion and any receiver unless you need the radio section.
Without knowing details of those speakers it is hard to know what will drive them well.....perhaps you could post some specifications....Ignore that, just read the link you posted, although even that doesn't give required details, also what is your source going to be?
Your budget is a bit low to find any decent amplifiers that will last I feel.

Last edited:

Coen

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
The source will be my laptop (mainly spotify) connected with an rca cable. I don't need the radio function. The speakers have the following specifications:
• Power handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts max
• Frequency response: 34-20,000 Hz
• Impedance: 8 ohms
• Sensitivity: 84 dB 1W/1m
It would be okay for me to up the budget, but I feel like the second hand market is mainly about finding good deals and not about the amount of money you actually spend. What stereo amplifiers would you say are worthwhile trying to find? I tried to find older Marantz models, but those are difficult to find here (I live in the Netherlands).

The source will be my laptop (mainly spotify) connected with an rca cable. I don't need the radio function. The speakers have the following specifications:
• Power handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts max
• Frequency response: 34-20,000 Hz
• Impedance: 8 ohms
• Sensitivity: 84 dB 1W/1m
It would be okay for me to up the budget, but I feel like the second hand market is mainly about finding good deals and not about the amount of money you actually spend. What stereo amplifiers would you say are worthwhile trying to find? I tried to find older Marantz models, but those are difficult to find here (I live in the Netherlands).
thanks, 84dB is a bit lower than I was expecting but shouldn't be too much of an issue, it's big drops in impedance that will be but if the truely are 8ohm then should be a fairly easy load.
Out of your list I would suggest the NAD if it is in good condition

Coen

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. As you said that I may be able to find some better stuff with a higher budget, I tried to scout the internet again, this time with a broader price range.
I found the following:
- Marantz PM7200 for €200
- Marantz PM6300 for €150
- Marantz PM7001 for €150
- Rotel RA980BX for €225
- Rotel RA-820BX3 for €125
- Denon PMA710AE
- Cambridge audio Audio Azur 650A for €225
- NAD C326BEE for €225
Do you by any chance happen to have experience with any of these models? Would any of these be a way better option looking at price/performance? If you don't have time to look at individuals models (which I would of course fully understand), can you maybe say which brand is the best according to you in this second hand price range?

The Rotel 980BX is a power amplifier I believe, discount this.
out of the rest I would say the Marantz PM7200 or the NAD or Denon would be your best bet.
I don't have any experience with any of these but suggest you want 50wpc at least and the most recently produced.

Coen

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I made a final top three:
- Yamaha AS501
- Marantz PM7200
- NAD c340
Last question: which one would you choose out of these?

I’d choose the newest and best condition probably. The Marantz is unusual as it has a Class A option, and will probably have a rich sound. The Yamaha I’d expect to be the most neutral, and it has timeless looks. The NAD is a bit plainer, but should be a good workhorse.

I have not checked all the specs but with your proposed speakers I’d consider the most powerful one seriously.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Coen

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It's between the Yamaha and Marantz now. Just did a bid of €200 on the Marantz. If that is not accepted, I will probably choose for the Yamaha.

Coen

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I know as a student your budget is limited but when you get your amp I would seriously suggest getting a cheap USB DAC between your laptop and amplifier. The analogue out is usually the worst way to connect a laptop….👍
That is a good tip. It just came to mind that I could use my headphone amp with build in dac (FiiO K5 Pro) that I connect via usb to my laptop as a dac. It has a rca output.

abricru

Nov 8, 2021
Visit site
I made a final top three:
- Yamaha AS501
- Marantz PM7200
- NAD c340
Last question: which one would you choose out of these?
I have some hearing loss in the high frequency, so I like equipment with a good treble sound, like you do. I have a Yamaha R-S202 that sounds great to me. I also have an older NAD receiver which sounds great too, but it only had jacks for 2 speakers. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Yamaha. I don't have any Marantz receivers, so I can't offer an opinion on them. Hope you find one you like!

I have some hearing loss in the high frequency, so I like equipment with a good treble sound, like you do. I have a Yamaha R-S202 that sounds great to me. I also have an older NAD receiver which sounds great too, but it only had jacks for 2 speakers. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Yamaha. I don't have any Marantz receivers, so I can't offer an opinion on them. Hope you find one you like!
This thread is quite a few months old, I would imagine the OP has found something by now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts