Amplifier help please

turnitup

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I have 2 intergrated amps, and want to use one of them as a pre or control amp.My problem is that ,both of them have pre-outs but neither have pre-in or main-in.Apart from cd/phono/tape etc, there is only aux which i tried but got nothing.Is it just that some amps don't have pre-in,or am i missing something.

Not all are capable of having the two sections split.some integrated amps can be used as the pre section with the addition of a power amplifier preferably from the same manufacturer but I don't know of any (apart from some naim integrated's my own included)that can use just the power section.what amps do you have?

turnitup said:
I have 2 intergrated amps, and want to use one of them as a pre or control amp.My problem is that ,both of them have pre-outs but neither have pre-in or main-in.Apart from cd/phono/tape etc, there is only aux which i tried but got nothing.Is it just that some amps don't have pre-in,or am i missing something.

Bad idea. Stick with one, sell other and buy a power amp, or sell both and buy a decent integrated. Decent pre power cannot be done on the cheap.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
First of all it is perfectly possible to take the pre-out from one amplifier and feed it into a Line input on the second, no problem at all.

All you have to do is set the levels, with the second amp volume set to zero, turn the first (pre) amp up to your normal position on the volume control, then set the volume control on the second amp to give the listening level you would expect, then leave it at that level permanently, just using the volume on the first (pre) amp as normal. This will work fine.

Though why you would want to do that, I have no idea...*unknw*

turnitup

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Ok great.The problem is as i said,i don't see any obvious place to plug into the the second amp from pre-out of the first.There is no pre-in or main,the only socket left is aux.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
turnitup said:
Ok great.The problem is as i said,i don't see any obvious place to plug into the the second amp from pre-out of the first.There is no pre-in or main,the only socket left is aux.

So use it. As per my previous post...!

turnitup

May 28, 2016
Visit site
You asked why i would want to do it,but magazines and forums are full of posts about if you have a seperate pre amps in 2 integrated amps,you can createpre/power amps,but as i said,i can't see where i would connect into the second amp,only aux plug left.The original Nad 3020 was able to be used as a pre-amp by removing bridges on the back panel,it was the reason why so many were sold,as it was very rare on a budget amp.

As I said earlier you need a proper power amp for a pre/power combo.LISTEN you have obviously misunderstood what you have been reading....two integrated amps can't make a proper pre/power combo.And If your kit is at the budget end of the market it'll make none to very little difference.What is it your trying to achieve?

TRENDING THREADS