Amplifier for Totem Dreamcatchers

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I'm looking for an integrated amplifier for a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers. These speakers while small require some decent power. Heard them with a Simaudio amp rated at 100 wpc at 8ohms and they sound fantastic. My budget is approximately £600. Rega Brio R, perhaps? Thanks in advance.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Rega Brio is really up to it. I would look at some used amps. The only new amp that may have enough power is the Roksan Kandy K2 they can be had for around £600 not sure if they go with Totem though.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You need an amp that delivers enough current to drive these rather low impedance speakers. The NAD C356BEE might do well, and is within your budget.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am going to surprise a few of you here - I thought the Brio R drove the Dreamcatchers really well, the Totems are lovely speaks - and yes I have demoed this combo!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
When I was demoing new speakers a year ago I tested the Dreamcatchers with my Creek amp. Sounded lovely, very nearly went for them too, gorgeous speakers but decided on the Epos instead. It was so close between all the speakers I tried ( ProAc and Neat as well), I could have been happy with them all.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all for the recommendations. The Moon amplifiers are out of my range even used. About the Rega Brio R, while I know it is a decent amp and a possible match for these speakers, there seems to be a lot of complaints regarding quality, I've heard mostly that there is an issue with the amp humming? I'm considering the new Creek 50a. Stereophile reviewed it favorably recently. Stereophile also reviewed the Dreamcatchers and measurements revealed that the speakers stay above 6 ohms most of the time and sensitivity being average I wonder if they are really a difficult load. Has anyone heard the Creek 50a?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have heard the Creek 50A, I demoed about 7 different amps and that was my favourite out of Rega Brio R, Arcam A19, RK K2, Audiolab 8200a, MF M3i and Marantz Pearl lite. If I had gone down that peth I may have bought the Creek 50A, problem is very few dealers to hear it. In the end I went down the Active path. My demo with the Brio was with the Rega RS1s, did not like them at all (closed in) then B&W CM1s these were better but amp was not happy at louder volume anything over 11, sounded harsh. So I would try before you buy.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the Totems. I currently have a Marantz PM6004 to drive them. Lets see if it is up to the task. I know it won't make them sing but I seem to be suffering from upgraditis! Down the rabbit hole... again. :help:

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
+1 for the Creek 50a. If you like the sound of the Rega I think you're better off looking at something used from Naim. At your price level and with those speakers, the used market is where you should be looking.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Greetings. I just wanted to share my experience with the new Dreamcatchers. The Marantz 6004 amp/CD is what I'm using them with. First of all the speakers. Outstanding build quality. Knock on the cabinets and not a hint of resonance. The veneer is so well executed. The ones I received (as the dealer ordered them to the factory) are a revised model. The woofer now has a dustcap/plug and the crossover has been upgraded as well. The sound is fuller than the old model but retains the pinpoint imaging and fast pace. The highs are also smoother. The synergy with the Marantz combo is better than I expected. I can only imagine what they could sound like with the likes of Naim Nait 5si, Rega Brio R or Creek 50a. I'm sure I'll upgrade later but sadly I can not demo any of those amps. I just want to be sure I make the right decision. Have also been looking at the Roksan Kandy K2. These spekers like power and while the Marantz is managing well enough, I'm sure that there is more in the Dreamcatchers. The K2 has good specs regarding wattage and amperage but not sure if it has the synergy that Totem is said to have with Naim and Rega. Opinions?