Question Amplifier for the Buchardt S400 MKII

Sweaty Palmer

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
Greetings,
Will the Accuphase e280 amp be overkill for a pair of Buchardt S400 MKII's? The wife chose the speakers (looks) but I get to choose the amp :) I need to decide before the cost comes up // SP

Sweaty Palmer

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
@12th Monkey
Surely you aren't going to spend that much on an amp without trying it? I doubt anyone here will have experience of that combo, though I may be wrong.

The e280 was just a rush of blood to the head. The expected delivery date for the speakers is late November, so I can't audition any amp/speaker pairings atm. I asked the local hifi dealer for a high end, medium and cheapest suggestion. He went with 1. Accuphase e280 2. Copland CSA100 3. Marantz PM-KI Ruby (demo price).

I feel pretty sure he will recommend whatever he makes most money on......
perhaps if you state what you intend to use as sources then you will not need to spend anywhere near that amount to drive those speakers adequately.
somehow a 5000 Euro amp driving 1800 Euro speakers doesn't quite sound right.

OP. S400's are (particularly as they incorporate a big pass radiator) going to require amplification that can keep on top of the S400's with huge amounts of current.

If your source has a fixed output only then at a UK RRP of £2850 also consider Kinki Studio Audio's EX-M1+ dual monaural high current integrated amplifier or if you have a pre amp or the source has a variable output then also at the same price price UK RRP £2850 Kinki Studio Audio's EX-M7 dual monaural ultra high current power amplifier are is also worth bearing in mind.

The reviewer in the following video uses S400's and gives a comprehensive review of the EX-M7 paired with S400's -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkdKiwsu_o&t=111s

TRENDING THREADS