Amplifier for KEF LS50

oatler69

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I just got the used LS50's last week and I would like to buy amp for them.

Now I am using RP6 with Brio-R, it seems the Brio doesn't have enough power to drive the LS50's, the sound is a bit mellow and lack of details.

A guy at store suggests to buy the Marantz PM8005 or Rotel RA-1570, and I am interested in Rega Elex-R because I love my old Brio-R (used to pair with concept 20's) and I don't know the Phono stages of other 2 can be as good as the Rega.

What do you guys think?

You have probably read here and elsewhere that the LS50 respond well to better amplifiers, though are still quite good with modest ones. I suggest you borrow your dealers recommended items and hear for yourself.

You may well like the Rega sound and their pre amp quality is good (I use a Rega fono). My hunch is I would like the Rotel best, but at this level you need to use your own ears.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
WHF found the Arcam A19 sounded good with the LS50s, whether has a enough power for you Im not sure. I would also consider the Rega Elex-R. Marantz is worth a try, think their phono stage is OK. You could buy an external phono stage anyway, decent ones for less than £100 will probably be better than the ones in amps. I think with an RP6 an external phono is probably the way to go. What cartridge are you using?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would agree that a separate phono stage would be the best way to go with an RP6 - the Fono MM being the most ideal. This doesn't discount any of the amps in question though, it just means you'll have one input less to play with. Having said that, I know the Elicit's phono stage can be switched to line level if needed, but I can't remember off the top of my head if the Elex's can too. If it can, you won't lose an input.

As you have already used a Brio (with what I would say is one of the nearest soeakers I've heard to LS50s below £500), I would say the Elex is a pretty safe bet for you, as you'll be getting more of what you have already been used to.

The Rotel is a good alternative if you want more features and digital inputs (including Bluetooth), and the Arcam A29 can be considered too.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Definitely speakers that respond well to power so go higher up the Rega food chain for less boxes, or go for a cheap but great Angle Audio phono stage and an Arcam amp.

New versions are good but I found the A19 a bit gutless with the Kefs. I got on very well with an older A38.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts