Amplifier and Speakers

dd

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I've just bought a Stanton ST 150 Turntable, and was wondering if I should buy a pre-amp, an amp, or a receiver, and why.

Could anybody out there recommend a good model, and also a good set of speakers to go with whichever of the above three I need to buy?

I've bought this for home (non-DJ) use, and just wanted to hook it up in such a way that it gives me really good sound.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What is your budget Mr. Direct Drive, how big is your room, how loud do you enjoy listening and what sorts of music?

1) Budget

2) Room size

3) Loudness

4) Type of music

dd

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi there Vladimir,

Many thanks for your reply.

1) I was thinking maybe £200 all in.

2) Floor size is roughly 12m squared.

3) I don't normally play my music too loudly - sound quality / sharpness is more important to me than the actual volume.

4) Pop / rock music is normally what I'd listen to.

Thanks again, Dave

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
£200......! ?

What kind of amp and speakers do you think you'll get for that?

Less you are searching the 2nd hand market.

Gumtree, eBay....etc.

dd

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
You're right, Thmpsonuxb, I had planned on buying them second-hand. Some (non-expert!) friends are now telling me to buy active speakers that eliminate the need for an amp with my new Stanton turntable. Are active speakers any good? Any suggestions apart from the really expensive Monster Clarity? I'm not sure now whether I should opt for a good second-hand amp and speaker set-up or new active speaker set-up?

Once again, any help and advice is really appreciated.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts