amplification for the b&w 805s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have decided to buy the 805s. I would like to setup a 5 channel surround. And that is all I know at the moment.

I request suggestions for amplification (budget is 1100 - 1400 pounds) that can match the 805s. I had auditioned them with classe monoblocs. Truly divine. But cant afford the combination.

Like most genres of music. Love active listening.

thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As does the TX-SR875.

But if you don't want the HD stuff, and fancy an alternative, do have a listen to the Audiolab 8000AV/8000X7 combination, which offers a persuasively musical presentation and has a certain purist appeal.

A

Anonymous

Sorry i forgot to add that the surround setup was for occassional use. the emphasis is on stereo (from the 805s).

thanks.

A

Anonymous

A certain Mr Andy uses Primare i31 to drive them. I swear that he swears by the sound. At GBP 1500 SRP thats gonna be a match, WHFSV said many good things about.

But that will be a pure stereo setup.

One thing you didnt want to hear. Dont plan to use a surround receiver for stereo duty (not at that price point).

nads

[quote user="deepankar"]
I have decided to buy the 805s. I would like to setup a 5 channel surround. And that is all I know at the moment.

I request suggestions for amplification (budget is 1100 - 1400 pounds) that can match the 805s. I had auditioned them with classe monoblocs. Truly divine. But cant afford the combination.

Like most genres of music. Love active listening.

thanks

[/quote]

sorry the 1100 -1400 is for a surrond amp that will be used to also power the 805 purely for stereo use? ie they will not be part of the 5.1 set up?

i went for the 703's as the stereo speakers and i have a seperate 5.1 set up. best way.

A

Anonymous

Nice speakers. They would be spoilt if used in an AV setup.

Sugden A21 would be a nice musical amp to go with them or a Densen B110.

A

Anonymous

Try them with AVI or Primare both worth 1500 but make sure you audition the
Primare with balance connections.

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I just bought the BW805s to replace my BW685.

The system is arcam solo.

I assume that the arcam solo 50w is not enough to power the 805s.

What ampli/cd should I think to repalce or is there a way to upgrade the arcam solo (biamp or??)

I saw in yr magazine award winners Primare or Leema Tucana. Which is better?

Pls advise.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I second the Sugden A21. I also second the Primare. I've used them with A30.1, then A30.2, the Sugden Masterclass. For an hour I thought i missed some of the impact of the Primare when switching to the sugden, but nothing would turn me back now - the sugden sound is so lush sounding (in a clear, clean way that is), and it really brings the acoustics of each track into the room like the Primares couldn't dream of. However, I haven't tried the A21, and it is possible that it may not match so well.
[quote user="New beginner"] I assume that the arcam solo 50w is not enough to power the 805s. [/quote]
Not necessarily, actually i discovered that the 805s is surprisingly sensitive, it works well with my Sugden Masterclass 50W amp to seriously loud volumes - mind you I have an excellent source, cabling, mains, etc which may allow it to go louder without distortion.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="deepankar"]
Sorry i forgot to add that the surround setup was for occassional use. the emphasis is on stereo (from the 805s).

thanks.

[/quote]

Then I stick with my original suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying Its best for me to stick to my Arcam solo to use with BW805s and no point buying primare or Leema?

Please advise

Thanks

A

Anonymous

hi, if i was to choose, i would go for the Primare's.......i have the primare pre 30 and the new A31.2 power amp (an upgrade from the A30.2), and i am very happy with them.......my speakers are the Dali Mentor 2's, but I think the BW805s are slighty better as they have a higer sensitivity of 88db than the Mentor's 2s which have a sensitivity of 86db.The Leema of course would be the best option of all, but they are much more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts