Amplification for B&W 804S

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

I could really do with some advice. I will be buying some B&W 804S next week and having blown most of my budget on the speakers (I could not resist an immaculate pair came up!) I need something that will drive them. I have read a lot about how power hungry these speakers are which has me a bit confused in terms of what amp to go for. My budget is (max) 1000 pounds and I am only looking at used stuff to make that stretch. I know I wont get anything amazing but I would like something that will drive them to moderate levels without damaging them. Amps im currently looking at are -

Peachtree audio nova225 se (should have enough power but a bit out of my budget until I ifnd a used example)

Roksan K2BT

Cyrus 8xpd (This I would really appreciate input on. Can it run 804S ok? )

On a related note I currently have a Cambridge audio 540A knocking about. I was thinking of using this as a stop gap. Its rated at 50wpc, would it be ok for me to use this for a bit at lowish volumes or will I damage my speakers?

Thank you all in advance.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Didn't you used to have Musical Fidelity? - You should be able to pick a s/h one with a decent amount of power up for that money.

I heard mixed things about the more powerful Peachtree although I do like the look.

Alternatively, in a few weeks time Boggit/iQ will probably be able to supply you a readily built Hypex module based power amplifier for a decent price. Add a pre-amp.

Cyrus have good lower load driving ability so if PA levels are not required I doubt it would be deficient.

I personally didn't like the K2 (non-BT) when I had it at home. Soft'ish bass and not enough grip but it goes loud.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi drummerman,

Thanks for your input!

Yes I used to own the KW550. I would love to buy that back but I cant afford it anymore.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I personally would try to advise you against using amps like roksan kandy etc to drive those 804s. It will sound sh t. Id go for something 2nd hand like a krell intergrated or one of the japanese monster amps - anything with a large power supply with good current.

Brand new id up the bugdet and get 2 abrahamsen power amps or even cheaper an hegel h160. These amps will grip your speakers well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts