Amp?

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi audiophiles
I'm due to upgrade my amplifier from a beautiful old sony ta fb740r to a new intergrated amplifier.i currently run a rega planer 3 record player and an old mash technics cd player as well as cassette decks and a tuner so will need plenty of inputs. I run Q acoustics 3050i speakers and will only require 1 set of speaker outs,very unlikely to need a subwoofer out as the speakers are gorgeous in that department. I'll have about £500 to upgrade amp and later on about £300 for a new cd player. All advice would be grateful cheers guys.

Gray

If I had around £500 (£549) to spend on an amp right now, I would interested in the new Mission 778X.

With 2 analogue line inputs, it might (just) cater for your needs.
Its own internal DAC might even improve the sound of your CDP.

(Also got an input for PC and its own Bluetooth - should you ever need them).

Seems like a reasonable price but, as ever, it would depend on what you think of the sound with your speakers.

Hi audiophiles
I'm due to upgrade my amplifier from a beautiful old sony ta fb740r to a new intergrated amplifier.i currently run a rega planer 3 record player and an old mash technics cd player as well as cassette decks and a tuner so will need plenty of inputs. I run Q acoustics 3050i speakers and will only require 1 set of speaker outs,very unlikely to need a subwoofer out as the speakers are gorgeous in that department. I'll have about £500 to upgrade amp and later on about £300 for a new cd player. All advice would be grateful cheers guys.
So you need an amp with an inbuilt phono stage and at least three line level inputs.
Are you looking to buy new or second-hand?
The Mission amp mentioned above might be a good buy but only if you need digital inputs and can audition it somehow as it's only just come out.
You might also consider the Rotel A11 Tribute which has actually had some reviews.... :)
Later you could get a nice matching C11 cd player which you cannot with the Mission

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

daytona600

Gray

The Mission amp mentioned above might be a good buy but only if you need digital inputs
Agree not to waste money on what you don't need.
I've just got a feeling that a DAC such as the one in the Mission might change his CD sound to the point that he wouldn't need to spend on a new player.
(No question it will change his sound - whether he would prefer that to his old Technics MASH potato....)

Reactions: Al ears

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
So you need an amp with an inbuilt phono stage and at least three line level inputs.
Are you looking to buy new or second-hand?
The Mission amp mentioned above might be a good buy but only if you need digital inputs and can audition it somehow as it's only just come out.
You might also consider the Rotel A11 Tribute which has actually had some reviews.... :)
Later you could get a nice matching C11 cd player which you cannot with the Mission
Hi don't mind secondhand I've had a lot joy in that market as the only new part of my system is my speakers!

matthewpianist

The Mission looks like an interesting bet, and well worthy of consideration.

I'd suggest also looking at the Cyrus ONE and Arcam SA10, the latter currently at a good price and a very capable amplifier with a good features.

Agree not to waste money on what you don't need.
I've just got a feeling that a DAC such as the one in the Mission might change his CD sound to the point that he wouldn't need to spend on a new player.
(No question it will change his sound - whether he would prefer that to his old Technics MASH potato....)
the question there being how long is his Technics likely to last.
Of course it could mean he would simply need to buy a CD Transport as opposed to a CD player.
The issue with the Mission amp is it's so new there haven't been any in depth reviews, as far as I am aware, and not sure there are that many dealers as of yet so auditioning might be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray
(Yawn)

Leema Pulse MK1. Can be purchased for between £400-£600 typically on auction sites. Fabulous phono stage and a very good dynamic and open soundstage. The presentation should suit the Qs nicely.
Just found one. Looks like a good'un with all the original paraphanalia.

Hi audiophiles
The Leema ticks everyone of your boxes:

Phono stage: tick
CD input: tick
Tuner: tick
Cassette: tick with one of the aux inputs
Sub woofer: tick
One set of spk terminals: tick

For that money you won't find better.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
If you want new then £500 is a somewhat awkward place for amplifiers. Not quite enough for the next tier up and a little more than entry level. If it was me I'd re-distribute your £500/300 budget somewhat and go for an integrated with a decent DAC and then get a CD transport only.

The Mission amplifier looks good though if that is the max you want to spend on a new amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts