Power amplifier

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys hope you're all well,
I've just managed to upgrade from an old sony ta fb740r amplifier to a pretty sweet sounding old rotel ra 02. My question is I see it has a pre out,is that to connect a power amp? And if so is it worth it? If so any ideas? My speakers are a pair of klipsch sf 02 and I have a CD player and my primary is a rega planer 3. I'm already blown away by the difference in quality between the old sony and the rotel,so any advice would be appreciated

I've just managed to upgrade from an old sony ta fb740r amplifier to a pretty sweet sounding old rotel ra 02. My question is I see it has a pre out,is that to connect a power amp? And if so is it worth it? If so any ideas? My speakers are a pair of klipsch sf 02 and I have a CD player and my primary is a rega planer 3. I'm already blown away by the difference in quality between the old sony and the rotel,so any advice would be appreciated
Hi Ianb.

Yes, you can either connect a power amp or a sub woofer.

Is it worth it? In my opinion no, unless you can source one dirt cheap. The only real benefit is a slight improvement in midrange detail.

I toyed with adding a power amp to my old Arcam, which incl a Rotel combo.

You're probably better off looking at a better integrated, such as a Rotel RA03, or one from the 10 range.

Reactions: Al ears and ianb

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi Ianb.

Yes, you can either connect a power amp or a sub woofer.

Is it worth it? In my opinion no, unless you can source one dirt cheap. The only real benefit is a slight improvement in midrange detail.

I toyed with adding a power amp to my old Arcam, which incl a Rotel combo.

You're probably better off looking at a better integrated, such as a Rotel RA03, or one from the 10 range.
Thanks my friend great advice

jjbomber

Probably not if you are in love with the Rotel. The main exception will be if you need to tighten up the bass. However, unless you are missing something from the sound of your Rotel, then I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: Al ears and ianb
Thanks my friend great advice
If you can stretch your budget a little the A11 Tribute will be worth checking out, as they are available from Richer Sounds.

Pretty sure @Al ears owns one or has owned one. He can probably give you more insight than most of us can.

Those RA03 and 10 are fabulous but they are getting old. The Tribute is a current model and for an extra £100 or thereabouts well worth hearing one.

If you can stretch your budget a little the A11 Tribute will be worth checking out, as they are available from Richer Sounds.

Pretty sure @Al ears owns one or has owned one. He can probably give you more insight than most of us can.

Those RA03 and 10 are fabulous but they are getting old. The Tribute is a current model and for an extra £100 or thereabouts well worth hearing one.
No, I have never owned one. Heard one, yes.
I had the 1062
However I would agree with your opinions.

RA-02 RRP £349 was launched in summer 2002 hence 02. A year later in summer 2003 Rotel revised some of the range above the 02 Series, the 10 Series and launched the RA-1062 RRP £595.

You can add the matching RB-03 power amplifier which will give a subtle overall improvement. However for a big and therefore worthwhile improvement I would recommend replacing the RA-02 and seeking out a RA-1062 on the used market @ around £200 to £300 which btw, is their most 'musical' sounding amplifier to date.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts