Amp watts compared to Speaker watts?

dalwen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi lads, i have the following question.

recently I bought the Q acoustics 2010i.

The recommended power for these speakers is 15 - 75W.

How can i make sure that my future amp is in this range. The specified watts (thd) from the amp manufacturers (nad-marantz-yamaha) varies a lot. or is watt in DIN the only safe spec?

could someone explain this.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Frankly speaker recommended watts are a very rough guide and well within reason, they are just covering themselves, it is like food best before dates.

The bottom figure is more important as you’ll more likely do damage by having an amp that is too weak and end up clipping. Powerful amps don’t blow speakers, people do.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What they're saying is, an amp with less than 15W RMS is likely to damage the speakers because of clipping if you insist on driving it at full capacity just to get a loud output. At the other end of the scale, they're saying that amps with greater than 75W RMS could possibly damage the speakers by over-driving them, if you play the music loud and some unexpected crescendo comes along, though damage that way is much less likely than damaged caused by distorted, clipping audio from a weak amp driven at full pelt.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Almost all of the amp's today are 40W or above so I don't see any problem in moving your speakres . test the amp

in terms of deatils , soundstage , bass act. before buying and not in terms of power stated on them but bear in mind that more power will be better if in the future you will upgrade your speakers to more demanding ones .

TRENDING THREADS