Hi all. This is my first attempt with internet chat, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

My system is as follows: Arcam A65 Plus, CD73T, MA RS6, Project Xpression 1 with a Clearaudio classic wood Cartridge, Marantz ML2060 Tuner (circa 1980). Interconnects/speaker cable: Merlin Chopin/Chord Carnival Silver Plus.

Please could I have advice on how to make the most of my speakers. Overall, the sound of my present set-up is very good, although with certain types of music it lacks a little oomph. I've tried different makes at home [thanks to a very tolerant retailer], including the old Naim Nait 5I, Arcam A70, MF A300. They all have their qualities but lack the synergy of the current kit.

Listening distance from speakers is a tad under 3mtrs. We have thick carpets and soft furnishings.

What I'm looking for is an amp that's punchier and more detailed than the A65 and less fatiguing than the Naim.

I apologize if a similar thread has already has been posted by someone else.

Thanks

John Duncan

Could be tricky, since those speakers could have an additive effect on any fatigue-prone amps........

Some you might consider are the Marantz PM7001 (also available in KI form, I found out yesterday), the Primare i21 (or older, second hand alternatives, like the A30.1), the Rega Mira (though others here will laugh at that suggestion) and the Creek Classic.

An alternative (albeit a more expensive one) is to look at the amp and speaker combination together, since something like the Nait with a slightly more forgiving tweeter might be just your bag.

Thanks JohnDuncan, I have to say I quite like the Marantz but my main reservation with that option is, with CD73T, it might sound a bit rich and warm?

When I said the Naim sounded a little fatiguing, the culprit is the CD player. The bottom end is, although not boomy, a little over the top on a long listen. The tuner and DVD's, on the other hand, sounded great and quite balanced. My budget is only around six hundred pound mark, so my choice has to be right!

One option is to bi-amp a power amp. Or as one well-known seller advised me to go with the Rotel RA06.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PP, I auditioned my RS6s with the RA06 and it wasn't my cup of tea. The bass was tight and fast but it just lacked something. I ended up with Creek Evo - it works excellently with the RS6. And for such a slim. pretty amp, it has plenty of oomph. Within your budget - especially if you go on Creek's website where they offer ex demos with 3 year warranty and free delivery for about £350!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="plastic penguin"]
Hi all. This is my first attempt with internet chat, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

My system is as follows: Arcam A65 Plus, CD73T, MA RS6, Project Xpression 1 with a Clearaudio classic wood Cartridge, Marantz ML2060 Tuner (circa 1980). Interconnects/speaker cable: Merlin Chopin/Chord Carnival Silver Plus.

Please could I have advice on how to make the most of my speakers. Overall, the sound of my present set-up is very good, although with certain types of music it lacks a little oomph. I've tried different makes at home [thanks to a very tolerant retailer], including the old Naim Nait 5I, Arcam A70, MF A300. They all have their qualities but lack the synergy of the current kit.

Listening distance from speakers is a tad under 3mtrs. We have thick carpets and soft furnishings.

What I'm looking for is an amp that's punchier and more detailed than the A65 and less fatiguing than the Naim.

I apologize if a similar thread has already has been posted by someone else.

Thanks

[/quote]

Try the A70. It has more punch than the A65 and would be a logical choice if you like Arcam.

Yes, I have actually borrowed the A70 over a 3 day period and although nice, it didn't "float my boat," just seemed to lack something, especially a low volumes.

I wonder if any of the guys from WHFI would like to add their tuppence-worth and share some of their wisdom?

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
My thoughts exactly on Arcam amps. I'd agree with Gerrards choice of Creek, a very good amplifier especially at the discounted prices available. NAD's are to laid back, Marantzes probably to bright for the MA's. After that, you really look at £800 or thereabouts for a substantial upgrade on something like a cyrus8vs but unfortunately it does'nt gel well with your speakers either though it has plenty of attack even at idle volumes. Its a hard life being an MA owner
emotion-5.gif

Tell me about it, drummerman! When I auditioned the RS6's, I tried Kef IQ5 Mk1, MA RS5's, MA GR10's and the RS6 seemed the better all rounders. I drove the retailer mad because I booked an hour - 90 mins it took before I was satified. Nevertheless, he got his sale and I was happy with my speakers. Job done? My system really sounds good - not perfect, but you can't expect perfection with a sub-four hundred pound amp. Can you?

Now I've the upgrade bug (not the finances to match my sonic ambition) I'm finding the right sounding amp more difficult than I originally anticipated. Hey-ho!!

Mr E does that caption refer to the A70 or the thread? What is your opinion on my situation, should I think about the award winners like Roksan, Cyrus etc. I've pestered so many people in the retail trade that I'm becoming punch drunk. . .confused by so-called reputable dealers giving conflicting advice. Just prove how subjective this game is?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes Andrew I agree but I'm always accused of slaying Arcam/MA/Budget hifi and am probably responsible for the bad weather as well ... so I thought I'd suggest an Arcam. And what do I get for it?

Ridicule from you
emotion-2.gif

I'm going back to my old ways. No more Arcam.

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]
Yes Andrew I agree but I'm always accused of slaying Arcam/MA/Budget hifi and am probably responsible for the bad weather as well ... so I thought I'd suggest an Arcam. And what do I get for it?

Ridicule from you
emotion-2.gif

I'm going back to my old ways. No more Arcam.
[/quote]

Phew. I hate change.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="plastic penguin"]Now I've the upgrade bug (not the finances to match my sonic ambition) I'm finding the right sounding amp more difficult than I originally anticipated. Hey-ho!![/quote]

I think your ambitions are perhaps higher than your current buying power and if you like what you have why not save a few pennies and wait a little longer till you can really upgrade rather than just change for something different for the sake of it.

Then go and listen to a cyrus 8 system with rega speakers and post a big thank you to me
emotion-5.gif

Sun has just poked through the clouds. . .Blinked and almost missed it!

Excuse my naivety, why the dislike of Arcam stuff? Over the years I've heard loads of combinations around freinds houses so on and so forth and Arcam (for the money) stands with them.

Don't panic!! Bring out the smelling salts

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="plastic penguin"]Excuse my naivety, why the dislike of Arcam stuff? Over the years I've heard loads of combinations around freinds houses so on and so forth and Arcam (for the money) stands with them.[/quote]

Just opinions ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="drummerman"]

And what do I get for it?

Ridicule from you
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

Not ridicule at all - just my opinion of the amp in question.

[/quote]

I know. Just had to smile that the one time I suggested an arcam amplifier I had a response disagreeing. Have you got an idea about what he could use instead of his A65?

Hi everyone. As drummerman said it would be nice to have a response from Mr. E or Claire. I read What Hi-fi? Sound & Vision on a regular basis and with the exception a slipper and pipe I've yet to receive any constructive advice from the team.

Once again, thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well you did get a response from me - I agreed about the A70.

I'd be thinking a nice clean secondhand Audiolab 8000A or 8000S, used with a similarly clean and secondhand 8000P to biamp those speakers.

Or maybe something like a Musical Fidelity X-A100R, X-A200R or even an A3.2, again secondhand.

That would be how I'd maximise my budget and the performance of your system.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You can find some good deals on the original British-built Audiolabs - ie before they became TAG McLaren Audio and then Audiolab again - on e-bay and similar sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts