amp upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You wouldnt get much change out of £800 but your willing to go to the auctions so between £400 & £500 is the going rate with warranty left on the item.

T

the record spot

beachBOYken:the thing is i dont mind getting second hand , but where do i look as im not keen on ebay also if im going to spend £400 on a new or used amp it has to give me better performance from my nad c320

Get Googling (or whichever search engine you like) and enter soemthing along the lines of used hifi, or secondhand hifi and you'll get a listing of a whole pile of independent UK dealers coming up first (make sure you select UK only assuming you're in the UK), also see the likes of the BADA Marketplace too.

Many dealers will take the stress out of secondhand buying by offering a three, six and in the odd case, a one year warranty. No need to trip down Ebay Street if you don't want to.

To give you soem pointers, have a look at the likes of Vickers Audio (York), Retro Reproduction (Edinburgh), Movement Audio (south west), Shadow Audio (Glentrothes), Sound Organisation, Big Ears Audio (web) and so on. All the best.

(Me? That's a nice Creek deal from Superfi, have a look and see if Hughes Direct in East Anglia are doing something similar - they're not well known nationally, but I got my CD player - see my sig) for less than half-price boxed and brand new; highly recommended).

A

Anonymous

Don't bother with the Cyrus 6VS2 as I don't think the upgrade will be a big enough step. If you can stretch to a little more the 8VS2 will be a good purchase and one that should last you a long time. Not sure how well it will gel with the RS1s though (I flogged mine as I found them far too bright).

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
yeah thats the thing im not sure how it will sound with my speakers , the creek evo looks nice too but is that classed as an upgrade from my nad c320?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
contact moorgate acoustics - they were doing the 8vs2 for less than £500 but says out of stock except for some reprocessed units that might still come with warranty - i'd give them a call they are very helpful

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thanks , im actually thinking about getting the creek evo now as its a bit cheaper and the reviews of it rate it highly and im hoping it will go better with the rest of my system (diva 73 and ma rs1 speakers)

A

Anonymous

Another suggestion, the Marantz PM 7001 KI is class, audition the Marantz PM 7001 because I have heard that there really isn't too much in it between these two amps.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:
i like the look of that creek evo , in terms of sound im trying to get a more punchy or solid sound stage if you know what i mean

and tighter bass

That is a very good description of the Evo. It's a brilliant amp that will floor your Nad and it matches well with the the MA speakers.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thanks , for some reason i keep thinking about the cyrus 8vs2 , its a lot more money but if i can get a ex demo or reprocessed one for about £500 would that be good or is this amp to overkill for the rest of my system?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:
hi again

does anyone have an idea of how the creek evo will perform with my monitor audio rs1 speakers?

cheers

I used to have the Evo with my RS6 speakers and it was great. For such a nice looking amp, it gives you plenty of welly. For the money, you cannot go wrong. It recently was reviewed in a certain publication alongside amps ranging around the £800 mark and it came second.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:thanks , for some reason i keep thinking about the cyrus 8vs2 , its a lot more money but if i can get a ex demo or reprocessed one for about £500 would that be good or is this amp to overkill for the rest of my system?

I'm not a big fan of Cyrus so I'm the wrong person to comment other than they are supposedly fairly bright sounding as are your speakers and although your Arcam would calm things down a bit...

Go for the Evo, you will not be disappointed. Apart from the sound, it's very well made, heavy and the remote control looks like it belongs to serious HiFi.

A

Anonymous

I agree I have seen a few people comment that it sounds distorted when they put the volume up but I think they are either out of their tree or are pushing the volume to ridiculous levels lol.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
would it give me a better soundstage than my nad c320bee , my music at the momment sounds good and detailed but the bass is not very tight. And i would like something that gives me a real depth.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:would it give me a better soundstage than my nad c320bee , my music at the momment sounds good and detailed but the bass is not very tight. And i would like something that gives me a real depth.

The Evo is all about accurate, deep, tight bass and surprising power. It sounds like an expensive amp. I only changed mine because it wouldn't integrate with my AV system. I always say to people who are looking for a sub £500 amp, Evo is the way.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:would it give me a better soundstage than my nad c320bee , my music at the momment sounds good and detailed but the bass is not very tight. And i would like something that gives me a real depth.

I should mention that if a local RS has any of these left in stock, you would be stark raving not to grab one. This is what I upgraded to and it's a monster and that is a ridiculous price.

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-AZUR-840A-BLK

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
two questions about it please,

my speaker cable is set up with 4 plugs for the speakers to be bi-wired and the other end just 2 plugs is this ok ? can it be bi-wired the amp end.

also

is the power lead that comes with the amp good quality?

cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:
two questions about it please,

my speaker cable is set up with 4 plugs for the speakers to be bi-wired and the other end just 2 plugs is this ok ? can it be bi-wired the amp end.

also

is the power lead that comes with the amp good quality?

cheers

You speaker cable set up is fine - there are only two plugs available on the Evo. The power cable is fine if my memory serves me right - I used a Merlin Tarantula with mine. Also worth knowing is that Creek Audio have a black Evo ex dem (apparently used for a mag review) for £350 on their website. This comes with a warranty. The Evo 2 amp that is just coming out is £680.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
yeah saw that , ive got one now in black for £340
emotion-1.gif

thanks for the help guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts