Amp upgrade question

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I bought a cheap setup to get back into hifi last year, i currently have a Denon PMA-250SE amp, B&W DM601, Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable and Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100 DAC and steaming via USB from my MacBook Pro, I like the sound but sometime it can be a little harsh and bright, I like a punchy dynamic sound but think the Denon may need changing, I have a small budget of around £200 and I've been looking on eBay at second hand amps.

i mainly listen to electronic music but so also listen to stuff like Foo Fighters, The Doors, Beach Boys, etc so wonders what you guys would suggest, I have seen some Cambridge Audio Azur stuff but wondered should I go for an older Cyrus or Musical Fidelity amp instead?

Thanks in advance

Paul

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
PaulCon said:
I like the sound but sometime it can be a little harsh and bright, I like a punchy dynamic sound but think the Denon may need changing, I have a small budget of around £200 and I've been looking on eBay at second hand amps.

Occasional brightness may be due to bright recordings. There is the danger that by trying to make those few poor recordings sound palatable you make the rest of your music too dull.

Then again, I'm not familiar with any of your kit, so I could be very, wrong.

As mentioned, some Cambridge Audio kit and Cyrus has a reputation for brightness or being clinical. You mileage may vary.

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh I like the sound of that, there is one on eBay at the moment, there is also a Cambridge Audio A5 going for £30 and it's only 15 miles away, worth a look?

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I got a Cambridge Audio A5 for £36.99, it's boxed and like new so I'll have a listen tomorrow and see if it's any improvement over the Denon, if not I'll get rid, for £36.99 I couldn't turn it down :clap:

TRENDING THREADS