Amp to power 4ohm bookshelf speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am planning to purchase a pair of speakers which the impedance is 4 ohms. Although my current amp can power them, it is of course not ideal since they are not designed for them.

So I am thinking of buying an amp to go with it. Although I haven't been to all the shops that I would like to compare the prices here are the two that I can buy with my budget which makes it difficult to go any higher than the one's below.

Yamaha A-S1000

Marantz PM15S2

I only ventured into the A&V scene recently so I don't know much which is why I'm asking you guys.

By the way the speakers are: CEED Attitude 682s

It's from a tiny one man company in Japan and thus it is hand-made but, I was able to get a good deal (75% off) from a friend of his so... here I am now.

You will need an amp that is happy down to well below 4ohms. What simple specs like this don't tell you is the absolute lowest impedance or what frequency it occurs. Virtually all modern amps will say 4 to 16ohms so you're none the wiser.

Having looked up the Japanese website it says your speakers are rated 82.6dB@2.83V/1m, which in simple terms means not very efficient (loud) for 1 watt input. You'll need at least 50watt/channel on conventional thinking, depending on room size and purpose. The Yamaha is rated at 190 watts into 4ohms, so plenty there! And the Marantz 140 watts.

Unless the speakers are better than they seem from the specs, these amps might be rather better than the speakers. Have you even heard them, and what are you paying? 75% off isn't much of a guide!

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz PM15S2 will power about anything (they power my MA RX8s perfectly)

Your speakers are not very sensitive at 82.6dB, but the minimum impedance of 3.8ohms should be no problem for most amps (that can handle 4ohm speakers).

A

Anonymous

Well it retails for 170,000 JPY per piece which is equivalent to 1360 GBP. but the guy is selling a pair for 80000 JPY which is 640 GBP approx.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Any chance you could do a home demo before you buy the speakers? I'd try comparing them against some lower and higher priced speakers.

It's not because they're hand built by a one guy company that they are good value.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts