Amp to match Dali mentor menuets

dan323

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Good afternoon all,
What are your views on Dali mentor menuets paired with the new Rega's? As well as the rega's I was also thinking about Marantz pearl lites and audiolab 8200a/ cd but i am unable to test all these systems in one place!
Opinions please.....

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd be thinking of the Rega Brio R, which I've heard them with and they sounded good, or the Unison Research Unico which has a bit more power.

Fine speakers, nearly got 'em for the study (well, corner of the bedroom that has a desk) but they were too expensive given the use they'll get.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
That's why I mentioned the Unico. Yes, I thought it a good mix - airy, detailed sound with shimmering treble which is what you get with Dali. Never shouty, but the lower midrange is a little (as in if I'm being really picky) cold, which I think the Unico would address as it is a warmer, almost rich amp whereas the Rega is, to my ears anyway, pretty neutral. You won't get massive bass as you'd expect, and though they're not really designed to do loud, they are well controlled at higher volumes. Thought it and the Rega a good pairing, despite that mild criticism, never fatiguing and sometimes with startling detail.

You really need to audition, though. I think the slightly cold midrange is the Dali take on things, but it could also be that my own speakers are a bit more forward in that area and I've got used to the sound.

dan323

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information, sounds like they could work for the type of music I am into, folk/ country and light rock/pop. I am due to listen to the speakers tomorrow with a couple of amps, all this due to a cd player giving up on me!

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Menuets with the Brio-R and its a belting little system; source was an iPhone via an MF V DAC

Also heard them with my CR603 and a NAD C355BEE (with a Rega Apollo CDP) and they really are lovely 'little' speakers; they are tiny!

Not the last word in bass as you'd expect but a superb overall soundstage that's really involving... Will be great with your tastes in music IMO

I'd avoid bright amps/CDP's (i.e. Audiolab and Cyrus - to a point anyways); a decent smooth source my calm the brightness down but when I heard the Menuets with a Cyrus 6XP and 6SE set-up it wasnt as good as I'd hoped

dan323

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Seems that i maybe able to pass the GF factor as well as improving my system, I currently have lektor 1's so should be a great improvement without increasing in size.

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Dan, how do the Menuets sound compared to your Lektors? I have a pair of Lektor 2 and am tempted with the Menuets. I am not a bass head whatsoever but I find the Lektors to lack bass for my taste. I would like a pair of small speakers like the Menuets but just with a bit more bass than my Lektors.Would be good to hear your opinion.

dan323

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The menuets are a big leap forward compared to my Lextor 1. The bass is stronger but still controlled and the general sound is more rounded. I loved the lextor's but Menuets just give a more involving sound. I listened to them with the Audiolab but i was'nt completly sold on that setup and still perfer them with my Marantz 6002. I am going to try some other amps over the next couple of weeks so will keep you posted on what i end up with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts