Amp-Speaker combo for CD6005 !?!

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been enjoying my Ruark R4 MK3 system for almost two years now. The one slight complaint i've had was the midrange was lacking slightly. I do understand separate systems give the best audio experience. I done some testing a while back and bought the Marantz CDP last November. I really enjoy listening to my headphones via CDP it's a delight!
I'm a big beliver in trusting your own ears, but this is my first attempt at a separate system and i want to get it right from the get go. I previously listened to the Marantz via PM6006 and Concept 20's i found the overall sound slightly better than the Ruark system i have in my kitchen. I hope for more my budget is £1200

My question is what other brands system match well with Marantz?

I'm going to demo the new Rega Brio next week with the new KEF Q350's and Elac uni-fi UB5. I like the look of the Cambridge CXA60 but unfortunately Republic of Ireland doesn't have any Richer Sounds for me to test any Cambridge gear.

So how does Cambridge and Marantz combo sound together?

I like a nice tight bass and wide sound stage with nice detail.

I find my Marantz timing isn't the best - what amps would help with this issue?

Also regards Speakers i like a airy sound if that makes any sense?

Ideally something similar to my current headphones Sennheiser HD600 would work for me.

Any further recommendations would be a great help as my local hifi store is a 3hour- journey
(4 buses in total)

I like a variety of music types, The bulk of my CD collection consists of Acoustic style albums, country and Indie Rock, Oh and one last topic to touch on -> my room!
I live in an apartment so space is tight, 18-20cm from back wall and 3Meters apart max without been to close to side walls for what ever speakers i purchase. I already have speaker stands in my apartment. I'm not to sure what other information i may need to give..

Kindest regards

With your budget and requirements,might I suggest that you explore the avenue of a set of active speakers....if your not the kind of person seaking the never ending upgrade path and just a single source or two these little monitors can sound very good for the money....acoustic energy ae1 active,avi dm5 are around your budget with a little left over.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
With your budget and requirements,might I suggest that you explore the avenue of a set of active speakers....if your not the kind of person seaking the never ending upgrade path and just a single source or two these little monitors can sound very good for the money....acoustic energy ae1 active,avi dm5 are around your budget with a little left over.

Can'y say that...*diablo*

However you will need some sort of pre-amp to provide volume and additional functionality, a Yamaha WXC50 plus a pair of AVI DM5 or Adam A7x for me.

That is however, not the correct answer.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Where in Ireland are you. There is an O Callahans in Cork and a Savins in Limerick that stock a few brands.

I have the pm6005 and pm6006. IMO they work gret with q acoustics, I also have one driving Monitor Audio bronze 2s

If I had room I'd have a pm6006 with a set of acoustics 3050s, but it's really hard to advise without listening

rainsoothe

Well, as you said, auditioning is the most important bit. You're kind of describing Bryston + PMC sound there, but that's way over-budget. I will +1 Adam A7X, but if you want separates, the new Brio R and CXA 60 are a good place to start. If you like Marantz sound, you should also check PM8005 if you can still find these.

As for speakers, Focal Aria 906 should definately be on your list - they're front ported, and are not that fussy with positioning + they're very easy to drive. And maybe you could find a Unitiqute 2 on the used market (or even a trade-in or ex-dem at a Naim dealer - imo it trumps the CXA60 in every department. Haven't heard the new Brio.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mark Rose Smith

I will certainly try an audience those active speakers next week. My big worry about actives at that price point is if they stop working within a couple of years, that's new speakers and a new amp. I do have a pair of Q acoustics BT3'S that i mainly use with my TV. I've had them running on the Marantz CDP from tine to time.

Ideally i want to go with the separate route for my main system. Maybe i need to adjust my budget!

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Muljao

I highly rate Savins it's a fantastic store, those guys are amazing when it comes to testing equipment. I live in Laois and the journey between Limerick & Dublin is about the same, the store in Dublin unfortunately for me is much more trickery to travel to, but i feel they offer the better value.

I appreciate your advice. I like the Q Acoustic sound signature, unfortunately i feel when i auditioned them with the PM6006 they did a good job, but i wasn't totally satisfied either, so i guess i'm looking to stretch my cd6005 full potential by buying a better amplifier

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Rainsoothe

Thanks a million for your response. Some great advice for me to think about.

I'm going to adjust my budget and go audience amps first then save up for speakers so ideally i could go to £600 - £800 on an amp. Possibly a £1000 would that be overkill for my CD Player?

I could actually buy the PM8005 for the same price as the new Rega Brio. But from an online website, that will go against listening before my buying rule. But as you say i like the Marantz house sound, i'm curious how the sound quality is compaired to PM6006 anyone? Or even the Rega Brio range!

Regards Bryston and PMC how would either sound in a very tight space . I really like the look of Focal Aria 906 but again i can't demo this brand. How does Focal and Marantz sound together...

Thanks guys for A7x recommendations if i get the opportunity to test them i will. But ideally the seprate system is the route i would like to go down.

rainsoothe

Well Imo the Aria 906 sound good with anything - they have great scale, are open but also smooth in the treble. Maybe they might lack a bit of a bite with the PM8005, as it's rich and warm sounding, but more relaxed than alternatives. If you want best of both words, again I recommend the Unitiqute 2 - and you can sell it for the same money if you don't like it (which I highly doubt), Naim are great in the SH market.

A very open sounding amp (which an get a bit tiring with the wrong speakers and cable) is Arcam A38. It resembles Marantz in most aspects, but has more bite.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I placed my order in for PM8005 today cracking value.

I'm going to go test speakers next week, i'm also due a visit back home to Edinburgh soon, so i will certainly test the Focals.

One thing about Ireland is it's very hard to buy ex-display, or Naim would certainly be in my thoughts.

Thanks to everyone that chipped in hopefully the PM8005 will be part of my system for many years to come.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts