Amp recommendation

zalp66

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello. My amp has suffered a terminal event and so I need a new one. System is Hitachi FT5500mkii receiver; Cambridge Azur 640C CD player; QED R232 deck with Nagaoka MP-11 boron; Aiwa R650 cassette deck that never get used! Until this morning this was linked via a 1984 Yamaha A300 amp to a pair of Diamond 7.2 speakers. Now I need a new amp - any recommendations? Unfortunately due to the lack of planning for this my budget is around the 300pound mark. For this, I see Yamaha A-S501, Cambridge Azur 651 (no phono i/p), Marantz 6005, and a myriad of others. I have no idea what to look for these days as I have been pretty happy with my existing setup and just replaced items as they died (hence the Azur 640C) . Music ranges from Meatloaf to Mahler via Bellowhead and 'Radio 2'.

Thanks,

Allan.

zalp66

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
... Additional thought - Yamaha N-500? I do have an iphone but (did) use a 3.5mm to RCA lead to play it through the Cassette input to the A300. Thx for your patience, Allan.

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Don't count out the ca 351a, I thought it sounded better than the 651.

Also the NAD 326bee is a superbly musical machine for the money, and very well regarded.

What?! 351a better than 651a? Could you tell me more about it? I was strong considering the 651 a/c set...

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
ChrisIRL said:
Roksan Kandy K2 can be picked up new for £399 these days if you shop around.

Really? Crikey, if so that's a stupid bargain.

I thought so too, which is why I bought one yesterday! Finally, adequate power for my LS50s, although I guess I'll still be told it's not!!

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
despite all the haters on here. Love the retro looks and sound it produces. Although .not a fan of the motorised volume knob. I was gutted when I saw it online for that price, great bargain! Enjoy your purchase.

zalp66

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I tried and bought the Yamaha R-N500 and after using it for a couple of weeks I have to say that it fits into my system very well. Thanks all for the ideas and advice.

SteveR750

ChrisIRL said:
SteveR750 said:
ChrisIRL said:
Roksan Kandy K2 can be picked up new for £399 these days if you shop around.

Really? Crikey, if so that's a stupid bargain.

I thought so too, which is why I bought one yesterday! Finally, adequate power for my LS50s, although I guess I'll still be told it's not!!

It's not!

Now can you give me my 6 lottery numbers for Saturday? :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
despite all the haters on here. Love the retro looks and sound it produces. Although .not a fan of the motorised volume knob. I was gutted when I saw it online for that price, great bargain! Enjoy your purchase.
[why all the haters?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts