Amp recommendation for dali Opticon 6 pretty please !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

DougK said:
Sabbath moved-on from the Marantz to an Abrahamsen as he wanted more power... then moved onto a Yamaha AS2100 and stopped his search.

We can all sing the praises of our beloved Marantz's but it is in the ear of the beholder that the deal will be done.
Dosen't mean the marantz amp isn't good, he also have the bigger speakers, not the opticon 6's, he had problem with the abrahamsen amp and bought a different amp, also think the abrahamsen amp and certainly the yamaha AS2100 is alot more expensive than the marantz PM8005 (the Yamaha AS2100 cost in denmark where i live more than 2.5 than the marant PM8005 (just a bit over 16000, Marantz only 6000)

D

Deleted member 108165

emperor's new clothes said:
+1. Had the SA&PM8005 partnered with the opticon 6s for 17 months and could not fault. Due to a great deal on cyber monday, upgraded to the SA&PM 14S1se duo and do not regret the expenditure. A second hand PM14 or 15 would be a good choice, but you won't be disappointed with the 8005s. Good plan to add the matching disc player later, IMHO. When auditioning the Opticons, CA 851? grated immediately, Arcam A29 much better to my ears.

Slightly off topic Emperor but was the upgrade to the PM/SA14S1se a subtle difference or night and day? Just interested as these babies are amost twice the original price of the PM/SA8005.

D

Deleted member 108165

No, I am in total agreement with you Gasolin, I too love my Marantz, which is the predecessor of your model... I'm a bit of a Marantz fanboy, as you can see by my sig *smile* For the current price of the PM8005 it certainly is a steal.

....You really should get the matching CD player in your system *biggrin*

gasolin

DougK said:
No, I am in total agreement with you Gasolin, I too love my Marantz, which is the predecessor of your model... I'm a bit of a Marantz fanboy, as you can see by my sig *smile* For the current price of the PM8005 it certainly is a steal.

....You really should get the matching CD player in your system *biggrin*

So fare i never had any speakers that needed a better amp than what i have, so i could easily buy much more expensive speakers before i need a better amp

The marantz amp is just a very good amp for the money, not to expensive but a little more than budget amps, where you don't get a better new amp if you buy an amp from a different brand, just a different sound

So something better might be the bigger marantz,cambrigde og mabye a hegel h160, just look at what Blacksabbath25 bought to get a better amp, that he hasn't changed as fare a s i know, Yamaha AS2100 atleast 2.5 more expensive than the marantz amp

Bemar

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
DougK said:
Sabbath moved-on from the Marantz to an Abrahamsen as he wanted more power... then moved onto a Yamaha AS2100 and stopped his search.

We can all sing the praises of our beloved Marantz's but it is in the ear of the beholder that the deal will be done.
Dosen't mean the marantz amp isn't good, he also have the bigger speakers, not the opticon 6's, he had problem with the abrahamsen amp and bought a different amp, also think the abrahamsen amp and certainly the yamaha AS2100 is alot more expensive than the marantz PM8005 (the Yamaha AS2100 cost in denmark where i live more than 2.5 than the marant PM8005 (just a bit over 16000, Marantz only 6000)
But thats why sabbath needed more power right? Because of the four 8" elements on the opticon 8s? :) I was looking at the a-s1100 as well but then I would pair it with a cd-nt670 to stay in budget/functionality of the dac in it ,and I think that would be a worse solution since both the cd and dac sources will be lesser than the one in the sa8005… Anyway I hope the 70w are sufficient enough. Nonetheless I use an old 25w amp atm which is probably bad for the speakers themselves…

Anything will be an enormous step up for me as im quite new to hifi equipment. :)

also my posts on this forum has been nothing but nagging about what stuff to get, I hope to contribute more to the forums in the future! I work and study music for a living so this is all very exciting for me!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
First of all the marantz pm8005 is a very good amp

the marantz pm8005 cost when first came out £1000 to buy so it's a steal .

the marantz will easily handle the opticon 6s and will double its power from 70watts because the opticons are 4ohm speakers . It's a well made amp and made in Japan but it has no onboard dac so you would have to buy a separate dac or a cdplayer .

The only reason I changed was I wanted sonic perfection and a bigger soundstage I felt that the opticons needed better amp to get the very best out of this speakers because I felt they were capable of a lot more . I was right both opticon 6s , 8s sound like heaven when you get it right by that I mean sonically it also helped by buying audio quest rocket 33 solid core speaker cable .

but back to the marantz it's a very good amp for the money and my Yamaha cost 3 times as much .

gasolin

Bemar said:
gasolin said:
DougK said:

But thats why sabbath needed more power right? Because of the four 8" elements on the opticon 8s? :) I was looking at the a-s1100 as well but then I would pair it with a cd-nt670 to stay in budget/functionality of the dac in it ,and I think that would be a worse solution since both the cd and dac sources will be lesser than the one in the sa8005… Anyway I hope the 70w are sufficient enough. Nonetheless I use an old 25w amp atm which is probably bad for the speakers themselves…

Anything will be an enormous step up for me as im quite new to hifi equipment. :)

also my posts on this forum has been nothing but nagging about what stuff to get, I hope to contribute more to the forums in the future! I work and study music for a living so this is all very exciting for me!

The speakers are 4 ohm speakers and there for the amp has 2x100watt, marantz doesn't say what peak,dynamic power is, so it might play up to 150 watt pr channel in 4 ohm

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bemar,

Quote: Ok thanks. Yeah it looks like im gonna settle for the 8005-series since the sa8005 has an optical input
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
does it sound good? Im gonna hook up my tv into it. That way it will be a clean setup.

The Sa8005 is an excellent digital hub for the money. It has a full gamut - note the scandy hifi reference*biggrin* -of digital inputs. I mainly used the coax from my squeezebox touch, but tried the front and rear USBs and your plan to feed PCM stereo from a TV should work a treat.

Top TIp for Marantz disc players - turn off digital out if not required - I was sceptical but does make a difference.

Don't worry about the PM8005 numbers, I played high dynamic range symphonies on SACD and it never ran out of control.

The Opticon 6s are superb IMHO and you need a major upgrade to beat them.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
+1. Had the SA&PM8005 partnered with the opticon 6s for 17 months and could not fault. Due to a great deal on cyber monday, upgraded to the SA&PM 14S1se duo and do not regret the expenditure. A second hand PM14 or 15 would be a good choice, but you won't be disappointed with the 8005s. Good plan to add the matching disc player later, IMHO. When auditioning the Opticons, CA 851? grated immediately, Arcam A29 much better to my ears.

Slightly off topic Emperor but was the upgrade to the PM/SA14S1se a subtle difference or night and day? Just interested as these babies are amost twice the original price of the PM/SA8005.
Hi Doug, I'll post a review when I have time. Not night and day as the 8005s set the bar quite high, but more detail, bigger soundstage and more grunt and definition in the bottom octave. I guess the KI on yours stands for Ken Ishawata and he worked his magic on the 14S1se. Perhaps if paired with Epicons, then the difference would be more marked. Listening with a big grin.

Bemar

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi Bemar,

Quote: your plan to feed PCM stereo from a TV should work a treat.
Yeah, I dont feel the need for a surround system, maybe in the future but this will be nice since I also stream tidal and spotify through hdmi chromecast.

TRENDING THREADS