Amp inputs (QUICK QUESTION)

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
My new amp will only have 3 line inputs but I need 4 (tuner, cd, tv and blu ray), can I use the tape loop input as an extra line input ?

Thank you.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
kitkat said:
My new amp will only have 3 line inputs but I need 4 (tuner, cd, tv and blu ray), can I use the tape loop input as an extra line input ? Thank you.

Puzzled as to why you think the tape input isn't a line input as well?

I did once used to puzzle about the nature of such questions (and other similar ones), but I came to realise that we now live in an age where people don't reason the same way they/we used to, or even just try stuff and see. People need everything spelled out to them. No particular offence meant to the OP at all; it's just the way it is.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
kitkat said:
My new amp will only have 3 line inputs but I need 4 (tuner, cd, tv and blu ray), can I use the tape loop input as an extra line input ? Thank you.

I did once used to puzzle about the nature of such questions (and other similar ones), but I came to realise that we now live in an age where people don't reason the same way they/we used to, or even just try stuff and see. People need everything spelled out to them. No particular offence meant to the OP at all; it's just the way it is.

In those days, we didn't have the internet so we had to suck it & see. If someone isn't entirely confident, why not just ask on a forum as this poster has done? They got a quick answer so job done.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PEAYEL said:
Yes, it is still an input, it just outputs via the RCA next to it as well as amplifies the signal from the input.

I think you'll find ALL of the inputs are available through the tape output. Certainly are on my amp, otherwise you wouldn't be able to record from any other source, which would be a bit pointless.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
At least this was a question of fact rather than personal preference/opinion so as said, no harm in asking in advance to avoid a potentially costly mistake.

The ones that get me are the seemingly endless stream of "Should I connect by optical or coax?" or "Will bi-wiring give better results?" or "Will the DAC in my amp sound better than the DAC in my CD/DVD/BR player?". Questions where the clear answer can only possibly be try it & see. It's a bit like "I fancy a sandwich & have ham & cheese in the fridge, which one will I enjoy the most?" :doh:

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
PEAYEL said:
Yes, it is still an input, it just outputs via the RCA next to it as well as amplifies the signal from the input.

I think you'll find ALL of the inputs are available through the tape output. Certainly are on my amp, otherwise you wouldn't be able to record from any other source, which would be a bit pointless.

The REC output does not amplifier the signal either, it's just a pass through (line level)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
In the past I've used the REC output to feed a second amp & speakers. Worked a treat. :dance:

I'm currently using the tape out on my AV amp into the line-in on a Sonos Connect so I can send any of my audio sources to my other Sonos zones, which is quite amusing.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile said:
The ones that get me are the seemingly endless stream of "Should I connect by optical or coax?" or "Will bi-wiring give better results?" or "Will the DAC in my amp sound better than the DAC in my CD/DVD/BR player?". Questions where the clear answer can only possibly be try it & see. It's a bit like "I fancy a sandwich & have ham & cheese in the fridge, which one will I enjoy the most?" :doh:

I think it's just a personal weakness of mine that I am intolerant of questions where *to me* the answer seems bleedin' obvious with just a tiny bit of lateral thought (this is probably one area where myself and The_LHC are similar), or where on some occasions it's clearly taken the poster longer to type a question and post it than try it and get his own answer. One of the best ones I ever read was "I've got some 18 inch metal speaker stands here, will my speakers sound better on the stands or on the shelf they're currently sat on".

I'll try and work on my weakness but I expect I'll fail lol. But apologies to the OP in any case because no-one should ask a quesion on here and fear ridicule. I'll punish myself later by making myself sit through the full album of Mariah Carey's greatest hits on Spotify.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
kitkat said:

If only everyone could be as all knowing, experimental and practical as you two are. Jeeeeez you pair can be the pits, but, no offence of course.

:wall:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chrisr1718 said:
In the past I've used the REC output to feed a second amp & speakers. Worked a treat. :dance:

I'm currently using the tape out on my AV amp into the line-in on a Sonos Connect so I can send any of my audio sources to my other Sonos zones, which is quite amusing.

Now you need never miss a moment of the audio from the Jeremy Kyle show, no matter where you are in the house.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile said:
At least this was a question of fact rather than personal preference/opinion so as said, no harm in asking in advance to avoid a potentially costly mistake.

Might I be so bold as to suggest a combination of the two in your sandwich.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
chrisr1718 said:

Now you need never miss a moment of the audio from the Jeremy Kyle show, no matter where you are in the house.

I'm afraid you've misjudged me. The tape out only works with analogue sources, the Sky is, of course, connected to the amp via a digital connection.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Crocodile said:

I think it's just a personal weakness of mine that I am intolerant of questions where *to me* the answer seems bleedin' obvious with just a tiny bit of lateral thought (this is probably one area where myself and The_LHC are similar), or where on some occasions it's clearly taken the poster longer to type a question and post it than try it and get his own answer. One of the best ones I ever read was "I've got some 18 inch metal speaker stands here, will my speakers sound better on the stands or on the shelf they're currently sat on".

I'll try and work on my weakness but I expect I'll fail lol. But apologies to the OP in any case because no-one should ask a quesion on here and fear ridicule. I'll punish myself later by making myself sit through the full album of Mariah Carey's greatest hits on Spotify.

Jeez, what the hell do you do to yourself if you a really rude to someone........ :O

Actually don't answer that, I really do not want to know.

Personally I do not much mind people asking simple questions, even silly ones but what really gets my goat is that when someone takes the time and effort to give an answer the questioner ignores the answer, particularly if the answer does not suit them and asks the same question again and again.

Perhaps they believe that if they ask the same question often enough they will eventually get the answer they like........ :read:

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:

Hmmm, a third option. :?

But then would you recommend ham & cheese or cheese & ham? If I grate the cheese into more "bits" will that improve the flavour?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile said:
BenLaw said:

Hmmm, a third option. :?

But then would you recommend ham & cheese or cheese & ham? If I grate the cheese into more "bits" will that improve the flavour?

Very valid point. Something else to consider is that when multiple ingredients are specified, is it not true that the first ingredient is considered the more dominant one? I remember a local chippy having to change their advert for 'meat and potato pie and chips' to 'potato and meat pie and chips' after a customer complained that while his so-called meat and potato pie was indeed full of potato, he virtally had to play 'spot the meat-atom' with a microscope. This could well be a north-only phenomenon. :?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chrisr1718 said:

Handy for keeping tabs on Eastenders while sitting on the loo I guess.

EDIT: Just seen the Jeremy Kyle post above....... Really should make it to the end of a thread before commenting! :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts