Amp for Q Aqoustics 3050i or...

Flickerinho

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hello guys,

Recently bought a pair of Q Aqoustics 3050i and connected them with a cheap Pioneer A-10-K amp. The result is very bad, almost to the point of wanting to give up - sound is dull and shallow, bass is weak and uncontrolled. Source is Spotify from Smart TV, via analog/aux output. Anyway, guess these towers need a much more powerful amp so I narrowed down my choice to Yamaha A-S501 and A-S701. The 501 is within my budget at the moment and I can order it right now. Will it serve its purpose properly? I want a fast and upbeat sounding system which makes you want to rock.
Also thinking about if I should replace the speakers with Monitor Audio Bronze 100's with the intention of having a faster and tighter bass response as they're bookshelves with a big 8inch drivers.
Thanks in advance!

Have you heard the QA sounding as you would want? In the shop, maybe?

They are known to be quite big sounding, but may need a bit more space around them. How are they placed, and in what sized room? A picture might help.

A better amp will give better sound, but can you try a repeatable source like a CD or Blu-ray player with a disc? Its possible the TV output isn’t great.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,

Recently bought a pair of Q Aqoustics 3050i and connected them with a cheap Pioneer A-10-K amp. The result is very bad, almost to the point of wanting to give up - sound is dull and shallow, bass is weak and uncontrolled. Source is Spotify from Smart TV, via analog/aux output. Anyway, guess these towers need a much more powerful amp so I narrowed down my choice to Yamaha A-S501 and A-S701. The 501 is within my budget at the moment and I can order it right now. Will it serve its purpose properly? I want a fast and upbeat sounding system which makes you want to rock.
Also thinking about if I should replace the speakers with Monitor Audio Bronze 100's with the intention of having a faster and tighter bass response as they're bookshelves with a big 8inch drivers.
Thanks in advance!
Hi, so if i understand correctly you are using the TV via analogue into your amp, using Spotify? So you are using a compressed source and the DAC in the TV? Have you tried another source into the amp to see if things sound better?

rainsoothe

Hello guys,

Thanks in advance!
Hi. Even though I'm an "amplifier first" guy, I (much like the others) think your biggest problem is definitely the source here. If you wanna keep using your TV as a control center, check if it has an optical output. If it does (and it should), look into something like Topping E30 DAC (check if it has an optical cable in the box, if not, buy an Amazon one or something). If you want a source that can be used without turning the TV on, look at Yamaha WXAD 10 (buy a separate Ethernet cat 5e cable, it doesn't come with one) or the Discontinued Chromecast Audio (buy a cable that has 3.5mm headphone jack on one end and 2 male RCA on the other if you go for the Chromecast).

Of course, you could (and probably should) audition other speakers as well, preferably with your amp - Dali, Elac, Wharfedale are a great starting point.

Last but not least, try to audition a Rega Brio (or at least a Rega Io) and a Rotel A11 Tribute besides the Yamahas. Or look for a sh Roksan Kandy K2, which I think go for pretty cheap these days, or a Rotel RA1062. If you want fast, purposeful bass, Yamaha don't do that imo.

Also, as asked above, how big is your room?

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
You could look into getting a chrome cast audio for streaming Spotify, think they are still available on Ebay, it should sound better than the TV and is not expensive.

Had 3050is for a couple of weeks, sounded good in the store, couldn't get it to work well in my room.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Some people are happy with the quality of a TV's analogue output.
The quality of sound is very good but TV manufacturers have always considered picture quality over sound quality with small speakers placed within narrow cabinets. Soundbars testify that TV sound when processed properly sounds remarkably good

Reactions: Dom

ripeinmay

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
I have a set of 3050i's paired with an Onkyo A-9010 and a Sonos connect for streaming services (Previously used a Chrome cast Audio) the system sounds great overall, really clear without being overly clinical (Ala studio monitors) great separation & sound stage. Biggest consideration with those speakers is positioning in the room. At least 2 feet away from any wall, if it has to be closer, use the muffs at the rear for blocking the airflow. You'll get better dynamics out of them that way. I have mine in my kitchen which has pretty harsh surfaces, moved them up to my softer livingroom for a week and the sound was amazingly better. but unfortunately it's also under the kids bedroom so not a runner.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I have a set of 3050i's paired with an Onkyo A-9010 and a Sonos connect for streaming services (Previously used a Chrome cast Audio) the system sounds great overall, really clear without being overly clinical (Ala studio monitors) great separation & sound stage. Biggest consideration with those speakers is positioning in the room. At least 2 feet away from any wall, if it has to be closer, use the muffs at the rear for blocking the airflow. You'll get better dynamics out of them that way. I have mine in my kitchen which has pretty harsh surfaces, moved them up to my softer livingroom for a week and the sound was amazingly better. but unfortunately it's also under the kids bedroom so not a runner.
I have Onyko A-9010 and Sonos Connect to stream from my NAS drive or Amazon Music. I have baby Kef iq10s speakers but looking for larger boxes. You seem pleased with the 3050i's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts