Amp for ProAc Tablette Anniversary?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Folks, I have recently managed to pick up some ProAc Tablettes for an absoulte song. They have had little use, and probably still have some considerable running in to do. These speakers are in another league compared to my other equipment which I will list below, but I'm enjoying tham very much indeed, especially with the vinyl. Question is, with a budget of only 400-500, which amp would be best? I understand that I would be looking second hand of course, and I am bargain hunter! I know the Tablettes don't sit with this system on paper, but I am enjoying them very much, and they replaced my LS4a's which i loved. Current Gear - Marantz PM-66KI Amplifier Arcam Alpha 7 CD Player with DAC upgrade Arcam rDock NAD 533 with Goldring 1012GX + cable upgrade Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Stage ProAc Tablette Anniversary B&W speaker stands (shot filled) and extremely solid! Black Rhodium Tango speaker cable Black Rhodium Prelude interconnects Tacima mains conditioning. Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Judging from my own Tablettes the Leema will be way too upfront (unless thats what you like of course). I' be looking at amps from Musical Fidelity, Creek, and Arcam.

A

Anonymous

Spectre said:
Judging from my own Tablettes the Leema will be way too upfront (unless thats what you like of course). I' be looking at amps from Musical Fidelity, Creek, and Arcam.

I agree

Amps I'd be looking at (2nd hand really):

Musical Fidelity XA200r

Arcam FMJ A32 (if you can find one) or an Arcam Alpha 10

Creek Evo

Even the Rega Brio-R would be a good match IMO

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. The ProAcs do certainly seem on the forward side, and I was looking at Arcam Alpha 9's and possibly a Roksan Kandy. Kandy too foward? Whilst the Leema does seem excellent value at the moment, I want an amplifier that's as neutral as possible.

A

Anonymous

Roksan Kandy a little bit too bright IMO for the Tablette's; it'lll drive them with ease but it is fairly open/dry at the top end

The Arcam Alpha 9 is a superb amp but the Alpha 10 is a lot better; less laid back and with more oomph/gusto about it but still a very detailed soundstage with superb top end and midrange to boot.

A

Anonymous

I'm not familiar with the Kandy but I do know the Arcam sound and think that would make a decent (more civilsed) pairing, especially as you start to turn the volume dial toward eleven. I used to own a pair of LS4a's many years ago so I realise the Proacs will be a bit of a shock, the little Tablettes are like a measuring tool. If you can pick up a Creek Evo I'd recommend it, sufficeint power to command the speakers plus velvety smooth treble delivery.

A

Anonymous

As above PP I wouldnt match the Kandy LIII or K2; just too dry at the top end

A Creek Evo would be a good match

The Arcam Alpha 10 is NOT the typical Alpha amp; it isnt anywhere near as mellow as the 8 or 9; it's a lot more open and rounded but with masses of clarity and agility. It's powerful and its soundstage shows that. Deep, punchy bass but it's superbly timed and never goes muddy; superb midrange which in turn is matched by a detailed but level top-end that never goes harsh or dull...

An amazing amp and still kicks a lot of c£1k amps into touch these days IMO

That and the FMJ A32 are the best amps Arcam ever did IMO; they need to replicate them ASAP

hifilover1979 said:
As above PP I wouldnt match the Kandy LIII or K2; just too dry at the top end

A Creek Evo would be a good match

The Arcam Alpha 10 is NOT the typical Alpha amp; it isnt anywhere near as mellow as the 8 or 9; it's a lot more open and rounded but with masses of clarity and agility. It's powerful and its soundstage shows that. Deep, punchy bass but it's superbly timed and never goes muddy; superb midrange which in turn is matched by a detailed but level top-end that never goes harsh or dull...

An amazing amp and still kicks a lot of c£1k amps into touch these days IMO

That and the FMJ A32 are the best amps Arcam ever did IMO; they need to replicate them ASAP

I don't deny the quality of the Alpha 10. You're are one of the few that I would trust if I was going to buy a s/hand amp, but the 10 is getting rather wrinkly now - no question there are some genuine good condition ones - and I would be a little bit cautious about investing in a 10 year old plus amp, CDP and speakers. Most have too many miles on the clock.

I don't really know about ProAcs but working off the OPs quote: "as neutral as possible", the LIII is fairly neutral for the price and the K2 is a tad warmer, although I've not experienced a dry sound with any of the Kandys.

Yes, I think Arcam have lost their way a little with two-channel gear over recent years. However, if you except them for what they are then, even the modern midrange amps, will still give years of pleasure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts