Amp for ProAc 140mk2. Choice between vincent sv236mk2, arcam a28, bewitch 6550, exposure 2010s2

QuickLearner

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

i have Proac studio 140 mk2. May upgrade in future to the D18s.

i have a choice of 4 amps

Vincent SV-236-MK2 hybrid, a year old but less used

Arcam A28- one is 4 years old, one is new

Bewitch 6550 band new

Exposure 2010s2, few months old

We do not get many options in second hand in my counry except a lot of NADs and some gem like the vincent here and there.

Music choice is mainly lounge, r&b, occassional disco and soft rock. Lots of floyd, coldplay, doors, eagles....source arcam cd192, rdac, mac mini, ipad with rwand,

I am so confused which amp to go for. I really like the tube sound but cant afford full blown solutions like unison research etc. The vincent attracts me as its hybrid, the bewitch is decently reviewed is and a full tube option - but its chinese and i dont have any experience with chinese products. Exposure is another option but i havent heard this. Arcam being considered as i have some arcam kit already. Please help.....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have no experience with any of the amps you listed.

However I did use the Proac Studio 140 Mark ONEs with twin Cyrus X-Powers in twin mono bi-amped mode to great affect. The downward firing bass ports onto a wood over cement floor filled out the "thin" bass attributed to Cyrus gear. You need a pre-amp to drive these and the Cyrus X-Power is an obvious non DAC equipped option, DAC-XP Plus with an onboard DAC.

Cyrus kit comes up quite frequently on the web auction sites if that helps.

Just my two cents worth....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you have access to Sugden, that might be another possibility.

.....of the amps you have listed, I would lean towards the Vincent, but I haven't heard that combination.

Make sure the possible upgrade to the D18s is worth the effort.

EDIT. In case you find it useful (post 4 onwards): http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/cyrus-6xp-or-leema-pulse-for-rs6?page=2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts