ProAc 140mk2 - which amp? Roksan or Arcam

QuickLearner

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,I have decided to buy the ProAc 140 mk2 towers. I have demo'ed focal, harbeth, kef, jamo, definitive, quad, whardale, linn, martin logan and i decided that the ProAc was the most viable for me when considering the cost and the sound quality.The dealer suggested that i go in for the new Arcam A19. I looked it up and saw it was rated at 50w at 8 ohms. I also need to buy a DAC (arcam rdac) and a cd player (parasound zcdp).Will need to buy a power amp to drive my definitive technology bookshelves and a sub which is at the other end.I just got offered a 6 year old set of equipments (amp & cd) which is at 60% of the cost of a new arcam amp. The dealer used it at his home and says its in perfect condition and sparingly used. He offered me the Roksan Kandy integrated amp KA-I MK III & Roksan Kandy CD player KC-I MK III.I dont live in the UK and equipment is about 50-60% more expensive here. My dilemma is should i go in for the second hand roksan cd and amp, save a ton of money in the process OR whould i stick with the new Arcam. The Roksan is 115w/ 8ohms vs the Arcam at 50w/8ohms. Lot more muscle too. I hear that ProAcs need power to be driven so Roksan may be a good bet. I listen to lounge, r&b, jazz ... And never to loud.Please help

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
QuickLearner said:
Hi,I have decided to buy the ProAc 140 mk2 towers. I have demo'ed focal, harbeth, kef, jamo, definitive, quad, whardale, linn, martin logan and i decided that the ProAc was the most viable for me when considering the cost and the sound quality.The dealer suggested that i go in for the new Arcam A19. I looked it up and saw it was rated at 50w at 8 ohms. I also need to buy a DAC (arcam rdac) and a cd player (parasound zcdp).Will need to buy a power amp to drive my definitive technology bookshelves and a sub which is at the other end.I just got offered a 6 year old set of equipments (amp & cd) which is at 60% of the cost of a new arcam amp. The dealer used it at his home and says its in perfect condition and sparingly used. He offered me the Roksan Kandy integrated amp KA-I MK III & Roksan Kandy CD player KC-I MK III.I dont live in the UK and equipment is about 50-60% more expensive here. My dilemma is should i go in for the second hand roksan cd and amp, save a ton of money in the process OR whould i stick with the new Arcam. The Roksan is 115w/ 8ohms vs the Arcam at 50w/8ohms. Lot more muscle too. I hear that ProAcs need power to be driven so Roksan may be a good bet. I listen to lounge, r&b, jazz ... And never to loud.Please help

I have the match of Roksan Kandy and Proac 140 MK2 and it is a very good match indeed but please take into consideration that to get the best from the Proacs they do need a lot of power to drive them thay's why I am consdirening the combo pre/power of Rotel 1580+1582 for my system .

I am not sure that the Arcam can move the Proac. If you need a DAC and CD I think you have to consider the Audiolab CD8200 V12E or Cambridge Audio 851C this are CD's with an internal DAC .

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The A19 is a very good amp, as those that heard it at the Bristol Show will be able to confirm. The 140's aren't particularly hard to drive, so the A19 will drive them, it just depends on what level you want to drive them to.

I would throw in the Naim Nait 5i into the mix. It works very well with ProAc, and is a better match in my opinion, but as we know, we're all different. Ideally, audition at the same location to find out which combination works better, and which works better for you.

I would think the Roksan is a good match for the ProAcs. I would not worry about needing lots of power either as the Proacs are very efficient speakers with a sensitivity of 91db. These can easily be driven by 20watt valve amps. So unless you play at extremely high volume levels so the people acosss the piazza can hear, then i would not worry.

What is worrying is you are comtemplation 6 year old gear for 60% of new price (if I read that correctly). This is much to pricey.

Oops, ignore that last bit I did read it wrong! 60% 0f the price of the new Arcam... well in that case i would by the Arcam if you are considering keeping it long term and you have somewhere there that can service it when required.

QuickLearner

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your prompt and immediate reponses. Thanks to you all... Mind largely made up, get the Roksans now and get something better later when i can. Being a dealers personal equipment, it should be in a good shape. Im going to demo it tomorrow.

Thank you allears... I wanted to specify that the roksan amp and the roksan cd player both put together will cost me approx 60% of the cost of the new Arcam amp. So that would make the amp about 30% of a new arcam. I liked your opinion, will get the roksan now and get a nice tubeamp later when i can. Ive grown to like tube sound a lot.

TRENDING THREADS