Amp for B&W CM7s

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
This might sound like a really daft question as I've owned these speakers for over 7 months. When I changed my amp from a MF XA2 to a Roksan k2, I realized I should change the speakers which I haw done. A friend would like to buy the CM7s, he also wants an amp to drive them. As he definitely wants one with remote my spare xa2 won't suit. The obvious thing would be patient and wait for a MF XA200R, but they rarely come up and tbh he's not too keen on the styling. I think he's prepared to go to about £400. That won't get you a new amp so 2nd hand / ex demo it'll have to be. I was thinking something along the lines of a Nad 355 and above or a Marantz PM7001/7003, all thoughts are welcome. Also as well as eBay are the any good used hifi sites worth checking out ?

A

Anonymous

What music does your friend generally listen to and also what source will he be using (CD player, iTunes via DAC etc...)?

The CM7's are very good speakers but fairly smooth to boot so IMO the NAD C355BEE wouldnt be the best choice

The likes of a Cyrus 8VS2 would drive them very well indeed. My parent-in-laws have the CM7's partnered with a Cyrus 8VS2 and now with an additional Cyrus XPower poer amp and PSX-R's but with the 8VS2 alone; the CM7's sounded superb. They use a Rega Saturn as their CD player and they have a Project USB turn-table as well and it's a briliant system

Other amps to consider, IMO, would be the Musical Fidelity as you've mentioned and possibly an Audiolab 8000 integrated

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Tbh. If it was me I'd go for a MF A3 amp. He might go for it. Although black would be preferable. I've never sent a black A3. He listens to various stuff more pop/rock than anything. He'll also be putting tv through it. He doesn't want AV or anything flash. Just likes to boost the tv sound.

A

Anonymous

In that case I'd still highly recommend the Cyrus 8VS2; it's a superb amp, will drive the CM7's well and provide a great soundstage with a good CDP in place

He could possibly look at the Arcam DiVA A85 or an Arcam Alpha 10; both are superb amps still (for me the Alpha 10 is probably one of the best amps to get 2nd hand - very resourceful with a superb soundstage and imaging and if looked after, will last for years to come)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just looked at the Cyrus. As well as the performance I think in black he'll really like the look of it. ,

Kind of wished I'd thought of that when I was running the b&w's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts