Amp for 802D - Please HELP!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have had a chance to listen to the 802Ds with a Pathos Classic One amplifier, and Pathos Digit CD Player. The sound was great, (and the Pathos amp and CD player look awesome) but I was told that the Pathos Amp was not powerful enough to run the 802Ds well. Please suggest an amplifier which would do justice to the 802D speakers; or speakers to suit the Pathos Amp (I had considered the Monitor Audio PL 300, or GS60 but could not audition them with the Pathos set up). I mostly listen to classic rock (Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, the Who, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Rolling Stones, etc.). Alternately, I was looking at the MA GS60 Gold Signature Series speakers, with a Musical Fidelity A5.5 amp. The cost is a lot lower for this set up. I am replacing my earlier system, which was bought in 1987. I wish to make a good long term decision and therefore don't mind stretching my budget to obtain something that will serve me for the next 20 years! I am really, really confused! Thoughts and suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks. Aun

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Nice speakers
emotion-21.gif
. I would recommend Krell or Classe to go with them as they should have Synergy to gel very well. Krell 400Xi will drive your B&W beautifully and if you found Krell a touch bright then test drive the Classe cap-2100

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your input.

Thaiman, would the Krell 400Xi have enough power to drive the 802s well? I will certainly give the Classe cap-2100 a listen as well. What about the Musical Fidelity a5.5? Any comments on that amp? Do you have any recommendations on CD players. I was considering the Pathos Digit, since it matches the Classic one really well. Alternately, I was advised to try the Arcam 139, which doubles up as very good DVD player as well.

Again, thanks to all who have given their advice!!

:)

Aun

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Aun"]would the Krell 400Xi have enough power to drive the 802s well?[/quote]

Yes.....and more!

[quote user="Aun"]What about the Musical Fidelity a5.5? Any comments [/quote]

I haven't heard the MF 5.5 so can't comment but looking at the spec I would still go for Krell 400Xi as it will suited to rock music (much) more.

[quote user="Aun"] I was advised to try the Arcam 139, which doubles up as very good DVD player as well.[/quote]

A big "No".....it may sound good for a DVD player but a High end dedicate cd player still a light years ahead imo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Thaiman!!!

I am closer to deciding on Krell.

Any suggestions on the CD Player?

BTW, have you heard the Monitor Audio PL300? What is your opinion on them?

Thanks

Aun

A

Anonymous

Have heard the 802D with an Audionet pre 1 G3 pre amp and amp 1 power amp. Terrific control and grip, especially when the 802's drop into 6-4 ohm impedance, which they do.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ranglo"]Audionet pre 1 G3 pre amp and amp 1 power amp. Terrific control and grip[/quote]

Double the price but not preformance, Audionet amp tend to be a touch light in bass, agree with the control and grip plus Dynamic range is quite stunning but Krell can do most of that for half price.

A

Anonymous

Can't comment on Krell as i've never heard any of there amps, however have just checked their website and the 400xi delivers 400W into 4ohms which is impressive. Also I understand why you heard the bass to be light, this is because Audionet takes an age to run in and warm up. But once they have the bass was sufficient and reallistic of the music.

As ever its subjective, but for a pair of £8000 speakers buy the best source and amplification you can afford.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ranglo"]As ever its subjective, but for a pair of £8000 speakers buy the best source and amplification you can afford. [/quote]

I totally agree but ultimately it's not my wallet that will be a lot lighter!

If the budget is £5 then I would buy GamuT D150, Karan Acoustic or Boulder! but they are hard to find even for a demo!

The Krell 400Xi (in black is gorgeous) sound per pound, still the best £2.5K you could spend (even after 4 years from the 1st released). I recently spend nearly a whole day round my mate listening to £3K Leema, imo, Krell do rock a lot better!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Thaiman. You have made my decision very clear. Black 400Xi. Any recommendation on the CD Plater?

Aun

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Ranglo"]As ever its subjective, but for a pair of £8000 speakers buy the best source and amplification you can afford. [/quote]

I totally agree but ultimately it's not my wallet that will be a lot lighter!

If the budget is £5 then I would buy GamuT D150, Karan Acoustic or Boulder! but they are hard to find even for a demo!

The Krell 400Xi (in black is gorgeous) sound per pound, still the best £2.5K you could spend (even after 4 years from the 1st released). I recently spend nearly a whole day round my mate listening to £3K Leema, imo, Krell do rock a lot better!
[/quote]

I once stumbled upon a GamuT DI150 and CD3, it was paired with some Castle Howard S3's speakers, the combination was playing a cd by Air, I can't quite recall which one but it was an ever lasting impression.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"] I once stumbled upon a GamuT DI150 and CD3, it was paired with some Castle Howard S3's [/quote]

Poor castle speakers! peoperbly punch drunk by now :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Aun"]Thanks Thaiman. You have made my decision very clear. Black 400Xi. Any recommendation on the CD Plater? Aun[/quote]

Cd player that will make Krell sing? McIntosh MCD201, GamuT D3 they are a bit pricey but will prove to anyone that said "cd player do sound too similar to worry about!" a shock of their life.

A bit cheaper choice? Audionet Art V2 (my in black and so sexy), 2nd hand Classe CDP-10 or 2nd hand Bow ZZ eight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts