Amp & Floorstanders to add to an M-DAC (

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Happy Christmas Eve everyone :),

I have a very poor set of surround computer speakers plugged into my media centre and would like to upgrade them soon. I am thinking about going for a pure stereo setup, I'm not bothered about surround and my room doesn't lend itself for rear speakers anyway. Listening distance is about 3m. Listening volumes will be up to moderate at (I live in a flat at the moment). I would like the speakers to have a nice bit of low end punch for movies and games, but mostly I want them to perform well for music.

I am currently looking at the 'Tannoy Revolution DC6T', but am mostly uncertain about the amplification. Does anyone know if the Audiolab 8200p Power Amp would go well with the M-DAC? or would I be better off spending the money on an integrated amplifier?

These two would leave me about £300 left over from £1500, I was thinking about adding a Sonos system to the mix, but I could also spend more on the amp and speakers. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them!

Thanks... Nearly Merry Christmas :)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Merry Christmas to you. :beer:

As the Mdac has volume control i would go down the monoblock/power amp route and forget the integrated amps as you have the pre section already. I know of someone using an Mdac with actives which is basically the same as Mdac and mono's and he love the set up.

The Tannoys need to be paired with something lush otherwise they'll get thin and brash and will loose musicality. Have you got your heart set on the Tannoys or are you open to other suggestions?

Also how about your room and musical tastes :)

EDIT: Seen your room size, still interested in your musical tastes though...

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply shooter :)

No my heart is not set on the Tannoys, I guess I liked the look of them and they fitted to budget quite well. For music tastes I will include the wife too as it's as much for her as it is me: Rock, Classical, Metal, Pop & Dubstep are probably favourites but we do listen to pretty much anything so an all-round performance would be appreciated.

If our love for headphones is anything to go by - perhaps something that edges on the warm side. If it helps - our favourite headphones at the moment are: Denon AH-D7000, Beyerdynamic DT770 Limited Edition and Sennheiser Momentums.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
May be worsh having a look at Exposure, NAD and the old Destiny range from Creek though now discontinued, all fall into the warmer side of solid state amperage and would help to add a little to the sound type you like.

Also defo worth having a look at the Audiolab as well and auditioning as mush as possible, but overall the combination of amp and speaker is key here as the Mdac will add little colour.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Shooter! OK I think I want to change to request for information. I think I would like to concentrate on the speakers for now. Let's say a budget of £1000 (rough). I will get something like an integreated Rotel amp for now, with the intention of updating this later on in the year. What would anyone recommend for 50% movies, 40% music and 10% games?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts