Amp feature explentation Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I've just been comparing couple of amps, theres description i dont seems to understand what it does on the amp could sumone please help me by giving me a brief description what this feature does on an amp.

Learning Remote

Internet

Video Scaling (1080p & 1080i which is beter)

Multiroom - (2 zone)

Network Capable

Composite in/out

Preouts

Ethernet Audio

Ethernet video

Phono in

Multichanal Available

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Newhome:Hi I've just been comparing couple of amps, theres description i dont seems to understand what it does on the amp could sumone please help me by giving me a brief description what this feature does on an amp.
OK, I assume we're talking AV amps and receivers here, so...

Learning Remote means the remote control handset can 'learn' the commands for other pieces of equipment, such as your TV, DVD player and so on, so that one remote can control the complete system.

Internet capability allows the receiver to stream radio stations and other audio from the internet when it's connected to a home broadband network. Ethernet Audio and Ethernet video mean it can stream audio and video from a computer on your network, and play it through the speakers and the TV. Network Capable covers the same subject.

Video Scaling means it can take standard definition video sources - eg DVD, VHS video recorders, Freeview boxes and the like, and boost the resolution to something nearer HD TV quality. As for 1080p & 1080i, 1080p is better in general terms, provided your TV can handle this format - in 1080i the picture is formed of alternate lines, so 540 are written at once, then the other 540, just as in conventional TV. 1080p writes all the lines on the screen at the same time, so can give better definition and smoother movement.

Lower quality video can be input into the receiver from these older video sources in a variety of forms; in ascending order of quality these are composite video (on a single usually yellow plug), S-VHS (on a little miniature DIN plug) and component video (on three cables, coloured red, green and blue). Some receivers are able to take these signals and upconvert them, usually in association with upscaling, enabling you to output all the video sources over a single HDMI connection to the TV.

It's worth noting that, unlike HDMI, these lower-quality video connections don't carry audio, so a further connection is needed from the relevant video source to the receiver, carrying the sound. This can be a digital feed, either on an optical cable or an electrical one, for surround sound, or a pair of conventional stereo analogue cables.

Multiroom - (2 zone) lets you feed the sound (and sometimes video, too) into a second room, using cables connected to the 'Zone' outputs. Usually this requires a separate amplifier in the second zone, but it's possible to listen to, say the receiver's built-in radio tuner in the second room while the main room is using the receiver to watch TV or a DVD/Blu-ray.

Preouts allow the receiver to be connected to further power amplifiers for a better sound, or to integrate the receiver with a stereo system.

Phono in means the amp or receiver has a built-in phono preamplifier for use with a record player, or turntable. Turntable pickup cartridges have a lower output level than line-level devices such as CD players, so need this facility to boost the signal

Multichanal Available I guess this means the amp has a multichannel analogue input, to which you can connect DVD, SACD or Blu-ray players with onboard surround decoding, and thus able to output sound as six or eight channels of analogue - ie 5.1 or 7.1.

Assuming you have a Blu-ray player with an HDMI output, or a DVD player with a digital audio out, you probably won't need the multichannel analogue input, but it's useful futureproofing should a new product come along later. Users of older receivers without HDMI inputs, for example, are able to use multichannel analogue inputs to connect up Blu-ray players with onboard decoding.

A

Anonymous

That was very helpfull, i thank you for taking the time to explain the meanings very much appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts