Amp dilemma keep amp or buy new amp ?

gasolin

As you can see in my signature i have a mission 778x amp

2x45 watt and 2x65 watt in 8/4 ohm sounds good,lots of in and outputs

BUT here is my dilemma

I have had volume problems last 3-4 days, sometimes i turn the volume down by one notch and it goes alot more down in volume, somtimes it goes up a little more in volume but not as much as down (doesn't always respond to how much i raise or lower the volume)

#6 https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/mission-778x.130918/
IAG, the owners of Quad and Mission tend to use very similar parts, in similarly priced devices. The review even mentions this. Same part bins for several brands. It's all the same stuff inside. I had a Quad Vena 2 and hated the sound.
The volume pot went wrong and as it's a sealed part, I couldn't clean it, so it would have needed a repair costing £100 so I declined and got rid of the amp.

Despite podknocker don't like the quad sound (should be close to how the missionm 778x sound like) i like the sound from the 778x although its sometimes a little subtle in the high(like my amp in the picture don't suffer from with the tone off) it's very pleasant to listen to

Subwoofer bass thump when i turn on,off the amp when the sub is on aut and the sub is active (not in standby mode)

All i can do is turn the power cable 180 degrees or try a different cable

Last thing i need,want a little more level at 75-85hz

So i tried my other amp with a real subwoofer cable (single at the amp end and stereo at the subwoofer end)

No bass thumb when turning my amp on,off (my O-Noorus amp volume has a bit of a slagg (not shure what it's called, you can move the volume knob a little before it goes up or down and very soft, a bit annoying)

2024-07-16 13_19_19-O-NOORUS PA-316 Amplifier Class D 2x TPA3116D2 Bluetooth 5.0 2x60W 4 Ohm -...jpg

Question, can the wiim amp do what my mission can 't do ?

New it shouldn't have any volume problem

10 band eq to adjust the bass at 75-85 hz

subwoofer crossover and level adjustments with an app

It has more power than i need (as rated)

Need seriously input,outputs compared to a mission 778x

Other amps with more inputs small size for the same price as a wiim amp

manicm

Is the volume control really a problem? Is the problem the same using the remote control and the volume control on the amp?

Sound quality wise, I don't think the Wiim Amp, or even the forthcoming Pro will hold a candle to the Mission.

Reactions: Stuart83

gasolin

Is the volume control really a problem? Is the problem the same using the remote control and the volume control on the amp?

Sound quality wise, I don't think the Wiim Amp, or even the forthcoming Pro will hold a candle to the Mission.
Don't use it arms legnth away from my amp

Different cable same thumb problem

Didin't try reversing the power cable

Ground loop filter ? YUpdate groudn loop filter does nothing to the bass thumb from my subwoofer

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts