Amp around 70-80 watts

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, slowly it is time to get an amp where the sound has more "body". I have heard the Cambridge CXA-60 and CXA-80. Contrary to WHF reviews, I strongly preferred the latter. Which other amplifiers are in this league? Do you have any recommendation which one should I listen?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
kukulec said:
Hi, slowly it is time to get an amp where the sound has more "body". I have heard the Cambridge CXA-60 and CXA-80. Contrary to WHF reviews, I strongly preferred the latter. Which other amplifiers are in this league? Do you have any recommendation which one should I listen?

Abrahamsen V2.0 could be worth a listen.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Both Naim and Cyrus have a 'solid' sound. Naim darker, Cyrus more explicit. Marantz sounds more 'rounded' with a softer, warmer bass and less incisive treble but still detailed.

The above changes a little as you move up/down the range but the house sound is there regardless.

There are others and much depends on speakers used.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it would be better to give details of what dealers you have near to you and what they stock - that's assuming you can audition them and them take them home for a further listen.

It's all very well everyone giving suggestions but ideally you want to listen to them.

From me I would add the Rega Elex-r and Arcam A29.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
kukulec said:

An awful lot depends on what is available to you in your market, which I guess, is not in the uk.

My favourite amplifiers in your price range would be the absolutely 'hair shirt' Croft integrated or the more normally equiped Creek 50A, both just under £800.

Neither are easy to find in the uk, so whether they are available to you, I have no idea. Personally I find them to be a class better than the more mainstream items at comparable prices. I am not a fan of the Arcam A19 but if you can find the A29 within budget, that is definately worth a listen.

The Abrahamsen integrated mentioned above looks fantastic value, but distribution/backup might be an issue, it is available in the uk via Iqspeakers, a chap who posts on here. Again, whether that is a sensible choice for you depends on your market.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I checked if Abrahamsen, Creek, Rega can be bought here, but I have found nothing. Naim is overpriced in my country.

There is: Vincent Audio SV-500; Advance Acoustic X-i105; Teac AX-501DA; NAD C 368; NuPrime IDA-8; Exposure 2010s2 D; Marantz PM8005; Magnat MA 600; Arcam A29. Unfortunately home listening is not really an option in the hungarian hi-fi culture.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
kukulec said:
I checked if Abrahamsen, Creek, Rega can be bought here, but I have found nothing. Naim is overpriced in my country.

There is: Vincent Audio SV-500; Advance Acoustic X-i105; Teac AX-501DA; NAD C 368; NuPrime IDA-8; Exposure 2010s2 D; Marantz PM8005; Magnat MA 600; Arcam A29. Unfortunately home listening is not really an option in the hungarian hi-fi culture.

What about Heed? They are a Hungarian company. Their Obelisk iii has a nominally low 50 watts but kicks like a mule; and in a most musical fashion too. It is probably above budget but I don't know in your market. They have another line that is a bit cheaper which I haven't heard called Elixir or something.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
kukulec said:

Off those you list, my preferences would be for the Arcam or the Exposure if they are in budget.

However that does show my 'prejudices' pretty clearly, I make no apologies, these are the kinds of products I have owned and used for many years.

davedotco said:
kukulec said:

Off those you list, my preferences would be for the Arcam or the Exposure if they are in budget.

However that does show my 'prejudices' pretty clearly, I make no apologies, these are the kinds of products I have owned and used for many years.

Not having heard most on that list I can only comment on the ones I have, so agree with above and that's the Exposure

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
kukulec said:

You could try Abrahamsen direct from Norway, they have a mail order service so you can try one .

http://www.store.abrahamsenaudio.no/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts