Amp advice

AudioLove89

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello fellow HiFi lovers, i need advice for a integrated amplifier to pair with my Kef Q550s and.

I listen mostly to, Jazz, Classic Rock.
I am looking for at least between 85-100 watts.

Budget. 1000-1500

My plan is to hook up the integrated amplifier to my Av Receiver (Denon x3600H) via the "Pre out" which is the i want to use my Kef eggs as rears on my av receiver, and use my "550s fronts" on the "Integrated" I also want to hook up my "Turntable" into the integrated amp.

Thanks.

Last edited:

shadders

Hi,
Is there a reason that you don't want to use the AV amplifier as the main amplifier ?.

I examined the specifications, and the picture indicates that it is a class A/B amplifier, and the specification is more than acceptable - better than some class A/B hifi amplifiers, and better than most class D (in terms of THD).

It is hifi folklore that AV amplifiers are not as good as hifi amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

AudioLove89

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
@shadders yes i find it lacking clarity and punch, i love it for movies but for music it just doesn't add that special feeling. Also i want to feed my fronts more power so i can turn up to volume abit more without the feeling iam blowing them up.

shadders

@shadders yes i find it lacking clarity and punch, i love it for movies but for music it just doesn't add that special feeling. Also i want to feed my fronts more power so i can turn up to volume abit more without the feeling iam blowing them up.
Hi,
The power is 105watts per channel, 2 channel driven, with THD=0.08% up to 20kHz. This is an excellent specification. The THD will be much lower at 1kHz. Has the folklore that AV amplifiers aren't as good a hifi amplifier, been a contributing factor in your assessment ?

Regards,
Shadders.

AudioLove89

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
My Q550s are rated 130 watt and 87db sensitivity.

I find the denon lacking power to pull out the 50% power of the 87db sensitivity it gets very hot too.

shadders

I find the denon lacking power to pull out the 50% power of the 87db sensitivity it gets very hot too.
Hi,
If the amplifier is outputting 10watts, then the SPL=97dB. If the amplifier is outputting 20watts, then the SPL=100dB (Disco speaker 1m distance as per http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm)

The amplifier is rated at 105watts - it can easily drive the speaker to very high SPL's. (it equates to 107dB SPL)

The amplifier may be getting warm since you are operating it at the lower level than it is capable of outputting. It is counter-intuitive, that the amplifier gets hottest near 1/3 of its rated output power.

Regards,
Shadders.

Gray

Best not to get too hung up on specs.
Your speakers might have a max power handling of 130W, but that doesn't mean they need it.
Equally, the amp can have the best spec in the world on paper, but if your ears aren't keen on its sound......I'll take a guess that you don't really care too much about its THD figure.
Likewise, it may be rated at 105W.....my old HK amp was probably only about 50W, but it delivered it with a 40 amp punch - I'd bet it sounded more punchy than yours.
Paper specs don't tell the whole story. Let YOUR EARS decide.

AudioLove89

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
This makes me consider to not look any further indeed but still the sound doesn't match with my Q550s denon is lacking clarity. Maybe i should look in the British av receivers. Arcam, cambridge, cyrus?

daytona600

If you are using pre-outs you will only need a power amp to drive the Kefs
120wpc monoblocks & place near/behind speakers with short speaker cable very compact & stable into 2ohm loads
in future add external PSU Power Box RS & output will be 200wpc
if receiver has XLR pre outputs these are ideal for long cable runs to the power amps
you could add more for Bi or Tramping

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts