Amp advice for potential new speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

That's a pretty big room, something like 6x10 meter

I just upgraded my amp with a power amp, 2x226 watt in 8 ohm class d (volume knobs on the front)

I now have some serious power although the 226 watt pr channel is at 1khz 1% thd, my speakers are rated at 84db and max 100 watt unclipped power (not the same as 2x100 watt amp)

To have 2x100 watt unclipped you need alot more, also for dynamic peaks, not to be able to play super loud but to be able to loud 100% unclipped.

With the low sensitivity,big room and my new experience with a power amp, is to go for something big, 150-200 watt in 8 ohm

BlackCrowe

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello again, now want to upgrade amp in next couple of weeks...would Canmbridge cxa61 do a good job with my LS50s wired do you think? Any other alternatives to power them in a large-ish room gratefully received (happy to buy used to get into the c.500-600 price bracket). Thanks in advance as ever. BC

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I had
Hi all,

So i am considering getting a pair of KEF LS50 wired speakers to upgrade my 15 year old budget Wharfedale Diamond. They will sit on generous bookshelves (clear space to the sides and above). My amp is a Cambridge Audio Azure 540A.

Question no1 - if i don't change my amp, should i still notice a signifcant upgrade in sound quality

Question no2 - if opinion is that my current amp will let these speakers down significantly, what amp should i look for below £500 (and preferably around £300)? (happy to purchase 2nd hand)

thanks, BC
I ve got the LS50’s which im using with a Cyrus One amplifier. Which is a class d, 100wpc amp. You can pick one of these up for under £500 used and they drive the LS50’s a treat. There’s plenty of reviews online that attest to this. Cracking amp with enough power to do the LS50’s justice.

I think your problem will be speaker placement. I’ve tried them various distances from the wall and in my room 50cm works best. On an actual bookshelf might be a problem IMO.

BlackCrowe

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I had

I ve got the LS50’s which im using with a Cyrus One amplifier. Which is a class d, 100wpc amp. You can pick one of these up for under £500 used and they drive the LS50’s a treat. There’s plenty of reviews online that attest to this. Cracking amp with enough power to do the LS50’s justice.

I think your problem will be speaker placement. I’ve tried them various distances from the wall and in my room 50cm works best. On an actual bookshelf might be a problem IMO.
Thanks Andy...placement noted....but a big improvement on my current Cambridge Azure a540
amp?

BlackCrowe

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Just to close this thread off...my Cyrus One integrated turned up today and set up with the LS50s, turntable and bluetooth. Road-tested them on Steely Dan's lush production (AJA and Gaucho in case you're wondering, the sound is quite fantastic). Next up see how they handle Shake Your Money Maker. thanks to all on this and other threads for superb guidance and debate.

Now about the speaker cable...d

Reactions: AndyCC72

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Just to close this thread off...my Cyrus One integrated turned up today and set up with the LS50s, turntable and bluetooth. Road-tested them on Steely Dan's lush production (AJA and Gaucho in case you're wondering, the sound is quite fantastic). Next up see how they handle Shake Your Money Maker. thanks to all on this and other threads for superb guidance and debate.

Now about the speaker cable...d
Glad you’re enjoying it. For the money it’s a superb amp, drives the LS50’s with relative ease and to my ears has a rich well rounded sound and is not at all bright as I’ve heard some people (who I doubt have heard one) mention. I think they’re basing that opinion on the fact that previous Cyrus amps have always thought to have been bright.
Enjoy the new set up!

AndyG

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

So i am considering getting a pair of KEF LS50 wired speakers to upgrade my 15 year old budget Wharfedale Diamond. They will sit on generous bookshelves (clear space to the sides and above). My amp is a Cambridge Audio Azure 540A.

Question no1 - if i don't change my amp, should i still notice a signifcant upgrade in sound quality

Question no2 - if opinion is that my current amp will let these speakers down significantly, what amp should i look for below £500 (and preferably around £300)? (happy to purchase 2nd hand)

thanks, BC
You know which one?? Get an Arcam SA20!!!!!!!!! I have the metas with this one and I’m very happy with it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts