American remakes. . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hated much of the latest kong remake. have to pinch myself and remind meself that it was a pet project of jackson's for some time before he did TLOTR trilogy, as it looks just like a vanity project to me. "Well Peter, you made us a beucket load of money, so here's some of it back. indulge yourself"!

That ridiculous chase sequence...everything in teh original looked more real than the animals in that. And i really didnt need to see him...er..."skating".

Saw the omen remake as it was on telly. totally toothless. i refuse to watch teh wicker man remake (tho could crack when its on telly, just for a laugh).

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:

I also detest the Hollywood habit of having to tell the audience exactly where anywhere out of the US is, whlle assuming a global audience knows where everywhere in America is. Eg 'Paris, France' vs 'Washington'...

Must admit Clare, I think this is for the benefit of a lot of the stay at home Yanks - I think someone ought to really confuse them by filming one set in Washington, Tyne and Wear...

EDIT: I see someone else beat me to that one. A sequel maybe?!
emotion-2.gif

Just seen a documentary on Yesterday channel called 'WAR'. The narrator is American and it tells the story of how WWII changed US lifestyles.

The programme gives a synopsis including the Spanish Civil War, the attack on Poland, Norway and the rest of Europe. Then they tell of German invasion of Soviet Russia plus the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Can you guess what they missed out?

Not once during the docu did they mention Britain....

It just seems our little 'Green and Pleasant Land' doesn't exist
emotion-12.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Just seen a documentary on Yesterday channel called 'WAR'. The narrator is American and it tells the story of how WWII changed US lifestyles.

The programme gives a synopsis including the Spanish Civil War, the attack on Poland, Norway and the rest of Europe. Then they tell of German invasion of Soviet Russia plus the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Can you guess what they missed out?

Two points.

First, I thought as a first part it was very good, and well up to the standard of past Ken Burns documentaries. Bodes well for rest of the series, which runs to a total of seven programmes.

Second, its stated aim is to show how the war impacted on the lives of ordinary Americans.

Mainland USA came through the war unscathed. The closest they came to a Blitzkrieg was half a dozen German spies landing on the Eastern Seaboard (Long island, I think). Three days later they gave themselves up.

Britain had a knife its throat for five years, cities flattened and families starving, yet the documentary didn't even have the grace to mention the 'Battle of Britain'.

I'm currently doing some research about the Scallywags. Crikey, that really rams home the integrity and sacrifices our lads (and most were lads) were prepared to make.

Every war film or documentary financed by the Americans since 1945 has snuffed out the brits.

idc

I don't agree with the idea of the 'plucky Brits standing alone' against the mighty Fatherland. It was the UK and the Commonwealth, Dominions and Empire (along with a whole load of escaped fighters from the European Countries that had been invaded) that stood 'alone'. That group of countries contained Germany within Europe, inflicted his first defeats with the Battle of Britain and in North Africa. That then helped to turn German attention towards the East. Furthermore the actions of the UK and its Commonwealth, Dominions and Empire meant that there were two places to launch attacks on Europe from North Africa into Italy and then from the UK to France.

So, before we criticise the US for missing us out, we should be careful not to miss out the Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians and a whole number of other nations from 'our' efforts.

idc:

I don't agree with the idea of the 'plucky Brits standing alone' against the mighty Fatherland. It was the UK and the Commonwealth, Dominions and Empire (along with a whole load of escaped fighters from the European Countries that had been invaded) that stood 'alone'. That group of countries contained Germany within Europe, inflicted his first defeats with the Battle of Britain and in North Africa. That then helped to turn German attention towards the East. Furthermore the actions of the UK and its Commonwealth, Dominions and Empire meant that there were two places to launch attacks on Europe from North Africa into Italy and then from the UK to France.

So, before we criticise the US for missing us out, we should be careful not to miss out the Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians and a whole number of other nations from 'our' efforts.

My point isn't about "plucky Brits." From early June 40, we were alone (this was 18 months before the Yanks officially came into the conflict).

But let's take "Objective, Burma" made in 1945 - this was banned in Britain until 1952, because it portrayed the Yanks as the saviour, when in fact the Americans were no where near the country.

The Great Escape. Stalag Luft III, which held the escapers had virtually no Americans. They had a separate camp a few miles down the road. Yet all the major stars of the film are.....yep, Americans. Of all the 50 that were shot, non were American.

I could give you a dozen other examples but I'm bored with whinging.....
emotion-5.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
idc:

What you say is true, but the primary reason we are not all currently speaking German is Hitler deciding to take on the Russians. If the forces from the Russian front had been sent to invade the UK then we would not have stood a chance.

A

Anonymous

At least Hollywood is consistant in 'adapting' history. It messes around with it's own past. just look at all the old Westerns.

NSYGrinner:At least Hollywood is consistant in 'adapting' history. It messes around with it's own past. just look at all the old Westerns.

Too true. If they mess up their own history that's fine - after all, we do it with our own costume dramas. When it comes omitting the British from WWII that is unexceptable. I don't want children growing up thinking the Yanks captured the Enigma machine, or won the 'Battle of Britain' for us.

Back in 2004 there was talk of filming a new version of the 'Battle of Britain', the hero being Tom Cruise, and he would save Britain from tyranny. Apparantly, the British Film Board were up in arms about it because the person he was going to portray was shot down two weeks after joining his squadron, and sat out the rest of the war.

TRENDING THREADS