American remakes. . . .

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
It`s nice to have someone in the world still enthusiastic about our country and it`s history but them yanks can be a pain! Apart from rewriting history they seem determined to spoil our cult classics such as The Wicker Man and next up I believe is The Prisoner! Please tell me it isn`t true. It`s a cult classic, leave it alone!

And don`t get me started on Mel Gibson!

A

Anonymous

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and they don't get that if they're not patriotic. When their limited imaginations cannot conjure up new storylines they have to resort to crucifying classics. In my opinion the only real new filmmaking talent comes from Europe (excluding Britain), Korea, Australia, Israel, Brazil, Iceland. I'd like to hear which Yank remakes people think are good, if any at all?

Octopo:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and they don't get that if they're not patriotic. When their limited imaginations cannot conjure up new storylines they have to resort to crucifying classics. In my opinion the only real new filmmaking talent comes from Europe (excluding Britain), Korea, Australia, Israel, Brazil, Iceland. I'd like to hear which Yank remakes people think are good, if any at all?

Too true. When you think of the "Italian Job," it wasn't even filmed in Italy or other parts of Europe.

Why can't we finance our own films? back in 90's we penned really good films such as "Four Weddings," "Notting Hill," "Maybe Baby" etc and wonderful television dramas.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
This afternoon we watched the 1955 film "The Lady Killers" which still a very good film.

Is is me or are the yanks trying to hi-jack our history by making remakes British Classics? IMO they're a load of rubbish, which doesn't help. Time after time, especially in war filmsÿthey are trying erase the British element. There are many examples from "Operation Burma" made in 1945. The crazy thing is there was no American participation in Burma by the yanks, "The Great Escape," is another one where in reality there were hardly any American influence - even though most of the main characters are American.

I know that Hollywood has the finance - twenty years time how many remakes or deliberate misconceptions will they conjure up?ÿÿ

To be honest mate, this will be a good thing when they make a movie about George W Bush. I don't think he would come across anywhere near as badly as in reality if he were played by Hugh Grantÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
To be honest mate, this will be a good thing when they make a movie about George W Bush.

Already out mate.

W

JoelSim:plastic penguin:

This afternoon we watched the 1955 film "The Lady Killers" which still a very good film.

Is is me or are the yanks trying to hi-jack our history by making remakes British Classics? IMO they're a load of rubbish, which doesn't help. Time after time, especially in war films they are trying erase the British element. There are many examples from "Operation Burma" made in 1945. The crazy thing is there was no American participation in Burma by the yanks, "The Great Escape," is another one where in reality there were hardly any American influence - even though most of the main characters are American.

I know that Hollywood has the finance - twenty years time how many remakes or deliberate misconceptions will they conjure up?

To be honest mate, this will be a good thing when they make a movie about George W Bush. I don't think he would come across anywhere near as badly as in reality if he were played by Hugh Grant

I dunno. If you remember "Spitting Image" I'm sure the production team could come up with a suitable character.

It just annoys me that the yanks seem to think they can re-write history and also believe it's QUALITY!

Back in 2004 there was talk of a remake of "The Battle of Britain," about an American who single-handedly saved us over the skies of Surrey and Kent. They earmarked Tom Cruise the play the so-called hero. The sickening irony is the Lieutenent that was to be portrayed only lasted two sorties and was shot down over the Thames Estuary.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Back in 2004 there was talk of a remake of "The Battle of Britain," about an American who single-handedly saved us over the skies of Surrey and Kent. They earmarked Tom Cruise the play the so-called hero. The sickening irony is the Lieutenent that was to be portrayed only lasted two sorties and was shot down over the Thames Estuary.

Friendly fire from the yanks again?

ÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I know we're talking about historical accuracy, but I have to say it's not only Britain that suffers from appalling U.S remakes.

I'm a big fan of the original French 'Taxi'. A very funny film and entertaining throughout, but the American one was totally rubbish (supermodels aside.........No scratch that, they were rubbish too)

I don't know why there's such a lack of original, imaginative writers over in America.

A

Anonymous

I agree with Big Chris the French have also suffered , one of my favourite films la Femme Nikita was re made as The Assasin with Bridget Fonda absolute pants, I think the end was changed because the Yanks couldn t understand the ending of the original!

Big Chris:I know we're talking about historical accuracy, but I have to say it's not only Britain that suffers from appalling U.S remakes. I'm a big fan of the original French 'Taxi'. A very funny film and entertaining throughout, but the American one was totally rubbish (supermodels aside.........No scratch that, they were rubbish too) I don't know why there's such a lack of original, imaginative writers over in America.

It's not necessarily accuracy, generally. I know other countries have been victim to American remakes, but surely the issue here is if it continues then our children will grow up watching American money obliterating our film heritage, wiping out British integrity and the skill that makes our films what they are today. Classics.

A

Anonymous

Hang on I've thought of one, Ocean's 11. Hated the 60's one. King Kong also, I'm not denying the classic status of the original but it was a pretty good remake.

Octopo:Hang on I've thought of one, Ocean's 11. Hated the 60's one. King Kong also, I'm not denying the classic status of the original but it was a pretty good remake.

Never seen Oceans 11, so can't comment. And plasticine monkey's, anything is an improvement on the original, way back when dirigibles were the norm.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree re Oceans 11 remake being superior - and I say that as a massive fan of the Rat Pack ,who star in the (ncredibly self-indulgent) original.

[BTW - did anyone see the recent South Park Ocean's 11 pastiche re Barack Obama. Genius...]

I can tolerate some Hollywood makeovers, but agree The Ladykillers was rubbish (a rare Coen Bros ***-up, too) , Aand can't stand history being re-written.

Worst example of this was U-571, where it appears the Americans captured the Enigma machine. Amazed they didn't relocate Bletchley Park to the old U S of A while they were at it....

I also detest the Hollywood habit of having to tell the audience exactly where anywhere out of the US is, whlle assuming a global audience knows where everywhere in America is. Eg 'Paris, France' vs 'Washington'...

Clare Newsome:

Totally agree re Oceans 11 remake being superior - and I say that as a massive fan of the Rat Pack ,who star in the (ncredibly self-indulgent) original.

[BTW - did anyone see the recent South Park Ocean's 11 pastiche re Barack Obama. Genius...]

I can tolerate some Hollywood makeovers, but agree The Ladykillers was rubbish (a rare Coen Bros ***-up, too) , Aand can't stand history being re-written.

Worst example of this was U-571, where it appears the Americans captured the Enigma machine. Amazed they didn't relocate Bletchley Park to the old U S of A while they were at it....

I also detest the Hollywood habit of having to tell the audience exactly where anywhere out of the US is, whlle assuming a global audience knows where everywhere in America is. Eg 'Paris, France' vs 'Washington'...

And Tom Hanks has a lot to answer for. . .Ahhhh!!

A

Anonymous

The remakes of The Thing and The Fly give your home cinema a better work out than the originals !

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Lovely place Washington, Tyne and Wear.

A

Anonymous

Gwyndy:"Infernal Affairs" over it any day.

Hang on I don't understand this, is Andrew Lau not the first?ÿ

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Ah "The Thing", what was the original called again?

Um, The Thing from Another World!

Re: Good Hollywood remakes. Akira Kurosawa's films seem to work, especially westerns, John Ford being an influence - The Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai), A Fistful of Dollars (Yojimbo) and you could say Star Wars (Hidden Fortress).

lonely boy:Um, The Thing from Another World! Re: Good Hollywood remakes. Akira Kurosawa's films seem to work, especially westerns, John Ford being an influence - The Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai), A Fistful of Dollars (Yojimbo) and you could say Star Wars (Hidden Fortress).

Most of the originals were filmed / financed by USA. I harking on about America rehashing cracking British films and claiming how brilliant they are.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

lonely boy:The Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai), A Fistful of Dollars (Yojimbo) and you could say Star Wars (Hidden Fortress).

Whooooaaa, hold on a second, Ocean's 11 is one thing but now we are taking on the greatest films ever made on both parts. Given that all films take inspiration from others (that's largely how progression works) I can't see a problem here. Films such as Seven Samurai have spurned a ridiculous amount of other movies, not intentionally copying it just taking inspiration from it's masterpiece.ÿ

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
dont forget that hollywood also 'remakes' a lots of its own out put....

coming up soon is a frankly hallowed scifi film from the 50's remake 'the day the earth stood still'....

now this is a truly iconic scifi film that in no way relied upon SFX or action to deliver its message (which was something very different in the dasy of the 1950's scifi)

i have no doubt that the new version will be more SFX driven with more action and Gort kicking more butt....BUT although i am huge fan of the original; i am expecting something new on the story .... which is incedently based on a short story from the 1940's called farewell to the master....

TRENDING THREADS