Amazon Prime. Any suggestions why I experience mystifying poor picture quality on some series

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit stumped why just a few series on Amazon Prime have really jerky almost unwatchable quality. The series I have encountered this with have been The Night Manager, the second series of Grand Tour and In the Thick of it. In contrast to HD films and series which are faultless the problems are coping with panning for fast cars or jerky handheld style camera work is all over the place like a poor quality skype picture.

I've tried all kinds of adjustments and the only one to help a bit is setting motion settings on my TV to high. Also I've not had any of these problems when I've watched these series on a standard PC. The kit I have is a Sony S7200 blu-ray player and a fairly old Sony Bravia HD ready TV which copes fine with HD content from Blurays, Sky HD and the rest of Amazon Prime content.

I've played around with the Bluray settings with no impact. Just wondering if anyone had any clue why these particular series are almost unwatchable? It can't be blamed on Jeremy Clarkson as the first series was fine.*biggrin*

Reactions: eoc69

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
This problem is know to happen on most Sony TV sets. It's a know problem playing amazon through Sony TV sets causing judder.

I have the same problem, but I now use by X800 4k player to stream Amazon and seems to be working fine now.
Still waiting for a fix from Sony but yet to happen.

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback. Fortunately with the exception of these 3 series there has been no problems. I guess if it happens with more content in the future it might be something to check when I do need to replace the TV.

I don't get any judder from the integral Amazon Prime app on my Sony TV, other than the natural judder you sometimes get with 24fps. I'd usually experienced judder with Prime and Netflix via other avenues (Roku, Fire TV, Oppo player), and the same with Netflix. It was almost like it was a frame rate issue, as it looked like a frame missing every second.

I watched a film last night though that stated 5.1, but playing it, it sounded like the centre information was in the left channel and left/right info in the right channel - had to set my pre to mono to make it listenable. I forget which streaming service it was, but if I recall correctly, Event Horizon had a channel error too, as I also had to set that to a particular setting to counteract.

So sometimes, there may be issues inherent in the source material they have, or they have the wrong settings or something.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts