Am I an idiot? #2 Loudness wars!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'sometimesuk'

Never heard of backing up the system regularly?

I recently moved an entire computer over when we bought a new PC.

Took about 5 minutes to move the whole of my daughter's iTunes music libraries over to the new machine including all settings (about 2300 tracks I seem to remember) from an external HD 'clone' backup and another 5 minutes to download and install iTunes software which 'found' everything including all artwork and playlists and account details etc and worked perfectly.

Disabled the account on the old box... 1 minute.

A

Anonymous

i think one of the problems with hifi is that people are possibly loathe to actually want to listen to something different...my change in attitude towards the new technology was made very clear when i got a Ipod Nano(4th gen) bought for my birthday this year for listening in the car , saw that there was the facility to sick a pair of headphones in (i use Bose Triports) and was absolutally gobsmacked by this little thing shoving MUSIC down my ears... it sounded BETTER than my £350.00 cd player that i`d purchased two months ago.

Now I`m not saying that this is equivelant to the discovery of the wheel but for the cost involved it is absolute music to my ears , and surely that what counts...

It`s going down a another tangent here but this summed it all up to me when I was looking for an improvement in the sound of my system a few years ago (Logic DM101 , Helius Aurus arm VDH wired, eroica 2 cartridge with ARC050 active speakers , Nytech Active Preamp,power amps ,monster wire , gold connectors , even to the mains electric in the room where the hifi was , having its own dedicate spur , special wall sockets plus room arranged & decorated for the best possible sound quality etc etc etc.......utter total madness!! ) I was looking to upgrade the cartridge... along I went to my a local LINN dealer as at the time they seemed to do all the talking about absolute quality in sound blah blah blah (yes I`d previously owned a sondek prior the logic) the atitude of the shop was one of a Flat earth society attitude.... nothing else existed beyond the world of LINN...told me to junk the system and buy a sondek...which to me summed up some peoples attitude towards hifi

I`ve descovered purley by chance the sheer musicality of this new technology at a FRACTION of the cost of some of the stuff out there.

May i suggest you look at this article www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm regarding the Ipods and i tunes , it`s really a facinating read

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jota,

You were doing so well there. I was nodding my head to everything you said - especially about those fanatical Linnies - I have some toe curling first-hand experiences of their 'reps' behaviour back in the 1980s.

Then you went and lost it by quoting Ken Rockwell. (One of the biggest charlatans in the world of photography and someone who changes his entire 'world view' as frequently as I have breakfast.)

For sure, changing one's mind is good evidence you actually have one (to paraphrase some old cliche) but Ken Rockwell just cannot be taken seriously because - even when he happens to settle on something fundamentally right - you know he will be 'somewhere' else tomorrow.

Statistically he will be right - every now and then - just as a broken clock is 'right' twice a day.

A

Anonymous

Chebby....apologies... up to stumbling across his article i`d never heard of the guy (was he a mate of Peter Belt!!!!) maybe he does change his mind as often as having breakfast , but i thought it was an interesting read anyway.

rgds jota

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts