Alternatives to Denon M41 DAB (Sort of)

losalnos

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of upgrading my stereo and was looking at the new Denon M41DAB: It's had great reviews and a lot of my stuff will be played via bluetooth (also have a turntable). However, my budget is actually a little more for the main unit (around £400) so does anyone have any experience of alternatives as the Denon has a couple of things that I'm not fussed for - CD & DAB are nice but could totally live without for better sound.

I'm thinking things like NAD 3020D, Marantz M-CR611, Denon PMA-50, Yamaha WXA-50, or anything like that. I have difficulty finding reviews and don't have a massive audio superstore nearby to do direct comaprisons so any ideas would be nice. If they're an upgrade on the M41 they're worth thinking about, then again, if they don't sound significantly better, I could just save the money or invest in speaker stands or something: ust because the budget is upt o £400, doesn't mean I HAVE to spend it! Anyway, any comparisons or suggestions welcome!

(NB I like these ones cos they're small - Marantz 6006 too big for room)

Thanks!

losalnos

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Chebby!

Luckily I've found somewhere local that stocks it so I can give it a whirl. Always the best bet. Anyone any views on the Nad, Denon PMA, or Yamaha? Or any other thoughts?

S

SemiChronic

Cambridge Minx xi . . really good sound in a small box apparently

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The denon M41 is amazing for the price with sound quality but the denon n9 will give you better detail and has everything for your music needs.i prefer the n9 to the marantz as the marantz can be a bit boring but the n9 can have timing issues.i would partner this with a pair of wharfedale diamond 11

iMark

The Yamaha R-N602 ticks a lot of boxes. I don't know if you've got speakers or not but a network receiver is great hub for a system. We bought one last year. It has a very decent phono stage, a great sounding DAC, 4 digital inputs, Bluetooth, Airplay etc. You will need to bring your own CD player and it doesn't have DAB radio on board.

gasolin

iMark said:
The Yamaha R-N602 ticks a lot of boxes. I don't know if you've got speakers or not but a network receiver is great hub for a system. We bought one last year. It has a very decent phono stage, a great sounding DAC, 4 digital inputs, Bluetooth, Airplay etc. You will need to bring your own CD player and it doesn't have DAB radio on board.

He already wrote in #0 that a marantz 6006 is to big a Yamaha R-N602 would be to big

losalnos

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks seemore. I was thinking or partnering (whatever I buy) with the Dali Spektor 2s - Had a quick test and like their sound and think they look amazing: important to me as I'll be looking at them every day (I know not everyone's most important feature!) Does thie effect anyone's recommendation?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
One of the Yamaha network receivers would probably be the most complete solution but if regular components like this are going to be too big, then it is going to be quite difficult.

So if compact is important, then the Yamaha WXA50 is probably your best choice under £400. The Bluesound Node 2 will be another solution though it is £100 overbudget.

Both have good control apps and both have an analog and a digital input, though on the Node 2 this is a combi socket, so you can connect one or the other, the WXA50 has independent switchable inputs for both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts