Almost there............Q500 & Q200C!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:Yes, you're right, I am thinking more in absolute terms that maybe the Q300 is more "fit for purpose" as the front three than say the Q500 and Q200C.....
As long as the Q300 can comfortably handle what you want to throw at it, a Q300 LCR set up will give you the most convincing front soundstage - the drawback is that you have a spare Q300, and a normal bookshelf speaker isn't the easiest to accommodate. Technically, you should be able to lie it on it's side and it'll be the same as it's a coincident driver.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Next step in the on going saga, although the front three I pretty sure I am going with (Q500 and Q200C), can't see me changing on that.

Our village is just on the outskirts of KEF Country so off there for a demo in their suite next week, and a full chat re the new design against previous etc etc, and will also have an opportunity ti listen to the T series as Surround speakers

It will give me another chance armed with some of my best BluRays to have a listen, via an Onkyo 608 I'm told (so I guess that will be a very forward sound?)

My over riding demand is vocal neutrality (??) and integration of effects and vocal across the front three

Nest Tuesday is due date for the appointment, will give a full update once done

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo's aren't quite as forward as they used to be, but they're still quite energetic, to their credit. See if you think the combination sounds bright - my Q's with a Pioneer 83 are far from bright or edgy. I turned my treble up by 1dB last week because I felt they were too smooth! For me, I think my Q's with a Yamaha would be a little too warm for my tastes, but it might be right up your street. The Yamaha is good for taking the edge off brighter speakers, and injecting some 'hi-fi' warmth into the proceedings.

You have a good receiver - it'll drive the KEf's well.

While in the demo, don't be scared to say if there's anything about the sound you don't like. Many receiver's auto set ups set the sub way too loud, and it ends up overpowering everything and sounding like a car stereo. Don't be afraid to ask for the remote so that you can tweak the levels of the channels to suit you. Better still, ask if it's possible to take your receiver along. It'll be a pain in the rear, but they're too nice to say no :D

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
Next step in the on going saga, although the front three I pretty sure I am going with (Q500 and Q200C), can't see me changing on that.

Our village is just on the outskirts of KEF Country so off there for a demo in their suite next week, and a full chat re the new design against previous etc etc, and will also have an opportunity ti listen to the T series as Surround speakers

It will give me another chance armed with some of my best BluRays to have a listen, via an Onkyo 608 I'm told (so I guess that will be a very forward sound?)

My over riding demand is vocal neutrality (??) and integration of effects and vocal across the front three

Nest Tuesday is due date for the appointment, will give a full update once done

Enjoy Tuesday.......look forward to hearing your thoughts.....

I reckon Adele's new cd (21) would be a great test of the Q500's......just bought it myself, but not listened to it yet.....

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
PP1

Seems that the set up I have is not a million miles away from yours, I'm using my set up in a room of 4m x 4.5, with tv etc across the 4m length and seating some 3.5m from screen (I move the couch forward on "proper" viewing nights to about 2.5m from the tv).

How big is your room, similar, I'm trying to get a feel of room performance with your set up?

Thanks

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
My room is 14' x 12', which in terms of metres is very similar to yours.

The speakers are 3.6 metres from my listening point on the couch, according to the set up on the Denon. (I did check this when I set it up ages ago, by measuring with a tape measure...)

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
@PP1

So going to listen to both set ups of;

1. Q500 + Q200C

2. Q700 + Q600C

Noted from another forum that you have done this, is the 700 listen a definite step up from the 500 to your ears??

I ask, as auditioning is great and I shall persevere with my ears, but interested always in other peoples thoughts!

Quite convinced before the listen that I'd like the flat panel T301 as surrounds as well

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The Q700's were a step up from the Q500's in all departments, especially the bass....

But I would imagine they work there best in a larger room, again especially as the bass might be overpowering in a small area.....

This is why I went with the Q500's in my 14' x 12' room....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts