Almost everything but the kitchen sink ...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep looking for that elusive product that seems to do pretty much everything streaming and amplification wise with HDMI inputs in a single box costing less than £500. I almost came to the conclusion that an AV receiver was probably the only thing out there that would do this until recently I came across these non identical twins from Onkyo (TX-L20D) and Pioneer (SX-S30 DAB). I wonder if they are dumbed-down AV receivers or they actually have a decent stereo amp inside? The feature list looks very impressive. Some kind of digital out or pre-out would have been the icing on the cake, but I suppose nothing's perfect *sad*

TX-L20D__B__Front_W_R640x320.png

sx-s30dab%28s%29.jpg

jjbomber

tino said:
I keep looking for that elusive product that seems to do pretty much everything streaming and amplification wise with HDMI inputs in a single box costing less than £500. Some kind of digital out or pre-out would have been the icing on the cake, but I suppose nothing's perfect *sad*

Oppo bdp range are streamers, 2 HDMI inputs, digital out as well as pre-outs. Oh, and they spin discs as well, do youtube, headphone amp etc. The bdp103EU is £499, so use the £1 change wisely.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
tino said:
I keep looking for that elusive product that seems to do pretty much everything streaming and amplification wise with HDMI inputs in a single box costing less than £500. Some kind of digital out or pre-out would have been the icing on the cake, but I suppose nothing's perfect *sad*

Oppo bdp range are streamers, 2 HDMI inputs, digital out as well as pre-outs. Oh, and they spin discs as well, do youtube, headphone amp etc. The bdp103EU is £499, so use the £1 change wisely.

Please tell me where I can get an integrated / power amplifier for a quid. My local pound shop doesn't seem to have any.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:

If I was going down that route (and it had occurred to me) then I would take a look at the Sony UHP-H1 and save myself £200 over the Oppo 103. Enough to buy a decent amp.

insider9

Looks like two very well speced products. Great research tino.

If that was me I'd go with Onkyo. Never had anything bad to say about their products. I had a little Onkyo network receiver and it punched well above it's weight at 22 Wpc into 4 ohms. This one does 85Wpc into 4 ohms so much better amp. Although amp side of Pioneer seems better speced I'd rather have all the options of the Onkyo and amp should be good enough.

Onkyo is £449 at the moment which considering all you're getting is a bargain. Can't believe they've even managed to squeeze in a phono stage.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Looks like two very well speced products. Great research tino.

If that was me I'd go with Onkyo. Never had anything bad to say about their products. I had a little Onkyo network receiver and it punched well above it's weight at 22 Wpc into 4 ohms. This one does 85Wpc into 4 ohms so much better amp. Although amp side of Pioneer seems better speced I'd rather have all the options of the Onkyo and amp should be good enough.

Onkyo is £449 at the moment which considering all you're getting is a bargain. Can't believe they've even managed to squeeze in a phono stage.

I think they are identical under the hood, but the Pioneer looks more hifi like and has separate tone controls. The Pioneer spec. sheet seems to mention room correction which might be a difference. And looking at the back panels, you can spot a microphone socket on the Pioneer but not the Onkyo.

jjbomber

tino said:
jjbomber said:
tino said:

Please tell me where I can get an integrated / power amplifier for a quid. My local pound shop doesn't seem to have any.

You asked for a digital out or a pre out. That would connect to an amp. So naturally I thought you had £500 for a front end. That is how the question reads.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
tino said:
jjbomber said:
tino said:

You asked for a digital out or a pre out. That would connect to an amp. So naturally I thought you had £500 for a front end. That is how the question reads.

Wires crossed ... the main thing is a stereo all-in-one that does fancy streaming stuff, has Bluetooth, DAB, Airplay, casting and has an integrated amp which accepts HDMI. The pre-outs were if I wanted to take the streamer output to another amp, but I suppose the HDMI output could be used or this new fangled Blackfire FireConnect protocol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts